SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrylym

New furnace/old heat pump

14 years ago

I need advice.

I purchased a house over the summer that had a heat pump being used for ac only. It couldn't be used for heating--I was told that it couldn't be hooked up to the old furnace, which is a 1974 model.

It was great for the summer. But when October/November rolled around and I had to start using the furnace, I was blown away by my gas bills and decided to see about getting a new furnace. I've had several contractors come out, and I think I've picked one. They're not the cheapest, but they did a really good job explaining what they were going to do and the associated costs. I'd be getting an American Standard 95% efficiency single-stage furnace, so that should cut my gas bills a lot. (According to them, my current furnace is operating at about 60% efficiency--ouch!)

The dilemma I'm wrestling with is whether to try to hook up the heat pump to use with the furnace. The problem is that the previous owners put in a USED heat pump back in 2007. The company who did the installation is the one I'm going with for the furnace, and they've said up front that they don't know if it will work, but if I want to try, they'd have to put in a new coil. The coil itself is not that expensive, but due to other problems with the location of my furnace, the installation itself is going to be tricky and rather expensive.

If I decide not to hook the heat pump up and try it out now, I don't know if I'll be able to get the right kind of coil if I decide to do so in the future, since the government is phasing out the use of R-22 refrigerant.

I guess my question is, should I go ahead and spend the extra money to try to hook up a heat pump that might not work? Would the energy savings with the heat pump be worth the gamble? Or should I just put in the new furnace and continue to use the heat pump for ac only?

Comments (10)