SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
movingzachb

About to attempt to fix my House Heater - no heat

movingzachb
15 years ago

I have just signed up for this forum - and no i have not done a search but I will. I just want to post while things are fresh in my mind.

I have been doing some research to find out what is going on with my heater. I am looking for some free online help - as it is the time when I NEED heat now and cash flow is simply not available to pay for a service to come out and fiddle with it.

I have a Robert Shaw 9600 Thermostat - everything seems to work but there is no heat blowing. I can turn it on and hear it buzzing on the roof (opening the unit I can see its the fan engine spinning).

What I have done is:

- The 9600 Has a (in order) Red, White, Yellow and Green wire. Between the Common and the yellow or green wire I get 28 on the Voltage meter. White and Common I get .14. All other functions of the Robert Shaw 9600 Thermostat appear to be working.

- Got up on the roof and checked the units fuses - look fine.

- When it is powered on the fan motor starts and then you hear a minor click where it is attempting to ignite gas but nothing is happening.

- The solenoids don't appear to be getting power to ignite it, I verified this by checking the voltage coming from the Johnson Controls MG770 NGC-7 (this is an older unit there replacement is the Johnson Controls G770NHC-1C).

http://www.allthermalcontrols.com/product501.html

This unit is screwed in and looks very simple to replace as long as I put everything back in the right order with the new unit.

What I am concerned about is that I did read something about a exhaust fan being plugged or something like that. Where could make and adjustment to allow air to blow and ignite the gass (and this could be the issue) - however after checking voltage on the Johnson Conrtrols unit - this tells me the unit has failed I also wonder then how the fan is getting its power (maybe its routed differently and my heater is just locked out).

Here is where I posted my question still yet to be answered on the fixya site.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t121372...er_robert_shaw

Any help or assistance with how to go about this is much appreciated.

Comments (12)