SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
learnin_gw

advice needed on heating options

learnin
15 years ago

Our house has two systems, both are oil furnace + AC. One of the oil furnaces just died, with a cracked heat exchanger, the AC is quite old also. The house has 4000 sf, one newer (2002) system deals with ~3000 sf living space, and the other (dead one) deals with ~1000 sf (three bedrooms, a 500 sf one first floor, two 250 sf ones on second floor). The second floor bedrooms has been very cold (10 degree less) due to much less air flow and possibly much more heat loss. Right now we are using only the first floor bedroom, with space heater. In the summer, we seldom use AC, because the house is in a very shaded area (10 days usage total). We try to keep the humidity below 60%.

Based on my reading here, heat pump would normally be a good heating option. (we are in north DE, electricity rate is ~13cent, no gas, oil is $2.3/g now, was $4/g in the summer which is scary). However, our cooling load and AC usage is abnormal. Does it make sense to use heat pump? I would guess a 1.5 ton system would be over-sized for our cooling need (the current one is a two ton). Our major need is cheap heating. We also want to resolve the upstairs/downstairs difference.

All the possible solutions I have come up with:

1. just change oil furnace, AC need to be changed soon.

2. just use space heaters in the rooms we use (may not be enough on very cold days, and need to do something when selling the house)

3. use ductless mini heat pump system.

4. change the oil furnace with a air handler with electric strip, leave room for heat pump.

5. do 4 and change AC to new heat pump.

6. keep the oil furnace but add electric strip (Electro-Mate®).

7. install propane tank, use gas furnace.

8. do 7 and install heat pump.

Could you please comment on these options, or provide other possible solutions? Our major goal is low cost, a balance of both operating and start-up.

Thanks a lot!

Comments (5)