SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
benek_gw

frequent indoor power outage

benek
15 years ago

Recently, started to have power outages within minutes of using either my elec dryer, toaster or microwave (not at same time). Have baseboard heaters in five rooms with one spare bedroom shutoff.

Checking service panel shows no individual breaker tripped, nor is the Main Switch out of position. Turning the Main Switch off and then on, does nothing (actually feels mushy - no firm snap on). I can do this 5/6 times - nothing, but if I wait 2/3 minutes, I can get a firm click ON and power is back (almost like the connections needed time to cool down).

At times, power will stay back on, but a few times ONLY for 2/3 minutes.

Cycle will then repeat when I use the aforementioned appliances the next day.

I had Sparky check the service panel connections for looseness, and I noticed individual breaker connections were slightly loose, but the Main Switch was firm.

My big question (remember I'm just a homeowner, so pse excuse any dumb questions) - shouldn't something be tripped and physically noticed in the service panel when power goes out.??

Other than that, I suspect the Main Switch may need to be replaced. The unit is a Federal Pacific 200 amp, 24 circuits, installed in the mid 60's. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the subject, particularly the availablility of a replacement Main Switch. Dome some research and see where many individuals condemn the Fed Pacific unit and suggest replacement with the Square D. Can't afford a complete makeover right now - and hope I can just get my present unit fixed.

Electric Co checked incoming and said everything fine on their end, and commented on the Main Switch. Sparky too said Main Switch may be bad and will look into getting replaced.

Appreciate any comments, and pse forgive my newbie status. Thanks in advance . . .

Comments (8)