SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

power outage cleanup

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
16 years ago

I live in Tulsa, OK where we lost our power for 5 long long days.

It was awful. We lived in the living room around the gas fire place, and also brought in some gas heaters designed for indoor use. We had candles everywhere. I hope to not smell a candle again for a long time. Our Christmas tree was up, and all the decorations were out. It was freezing all the time.

Now we have been having trouble getting over coughs from colds, and it occurs to me finally that we are reacting to some of the residue from the candles and fireplace. Our fireplace is gas, but the artificial logs do get black, so I think much of that stuff may be on the walls.

Do you have any special suggestions for cleaning those rooms, and do you think there is hidden residue from candles that should be removed with a special cleaner? We took down the tree last night, and already are feeling better. Whatever we are allergic to could be in the carpets, sofa, love seat, and walls and shelves.

Also since I am asking for help, we have 2 golden retrievers that live in a recreation room and kitchen. Our kitchen floor is filthy much of the time, and is not easy to clean. The best cleaning method I can think of is to get large old dish towels, and use them to clean, then wash them out in the sink. If I use mops or a swiffer, they get dirty after a couple of swipes. Any suggestions? We want the dogs inside with us, so the advice we need is an easy way to clean the floor, not keep the dogs in or out.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Sammy

Comments (8)