SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coleen3201118

Furniture options for living room - which way to go?

coleen3201118
16 years ago

We have a rather small living room - 12x18. In the middle of the "long" wall is a fireplace with a window on either side. The other "long wall" is the entrance from the foyer - one side of the short wall is a picture window w/ built in bookcases and the other is the entrance to the family room/kitchen. We're currently getting rid if the sofa we had in our old house since we've finally realized it's never worked here.

My initla plan is to put two loveseats alongside the fireplace with a coffee table in the middle. I've also seen pictures of a loveseat opposite two chairs - which way would you go? Oh, and then of course, there's the issue of colors for the sofa - would you go mocha or camel - I'm concerned with two loveseats there might be too much of a good thing, so I want a color I won't live to regret. Wall colors aren't an issue because we'll just paint. Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments (20)

• creekylis
    16 years ago

IMO... In the interest of keeping traffic patterns open and not wanting to visually block off the space, I would suggest one loveseat with its back to your picture window (but out away from it, closer to the fireplace) a coffee table, and two chairs opposite backing to the fr/kit entrance. You might perhaps insert a side table between the chairs.

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

coleen -
    Do you have pics of existing - that would help -

I agree w/creek - I have a long LR and opted to get rid of the coffee table in the middle for better traffic flow - I have 2 chairs on either side of fireplace & couch on long wall facing fireplace -

I also have other furnishings but that is the "main" part of LR

Pics will help others weigh in here
    good luck

• coleen3201118
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I should have posted pics from the beginning. Anyway, here's the space. (Sorry about the laundry basket - the dog just finished folding!)I'm wondering about the side table between two chairs. ALthough I would really like that, I wouldn't be able to put a lamp on it b/c the outlets are too far away. Ad if anyone has any ideas about what to do in that corner where the chair is, that would be great. My husband is in favor of the loveseat with 2 chairs because s he says, "Men don't want to sit next to each other!" THanks for any input. Oh, and inspiration photos are welcomed AND appreciated!
    {{gwi:1545169}}

{{gwi:1545170}}

{{gwi:1545171}}

• graywings123
    16 years ago

I agree with your husband on the loveseats.

How about four matching chairs and a round coffee table?

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

coleen

What a lovely space!!! 1st thought, what is the room used for predominately
    2nd - I would find furnishings and placement that take greater advantage of the space - I'm not great at this part but I'll give it a shot
    Love seat caddycorned near kit/family room, 2 comfy on the low side upolstered chairs on either side of fireplace - that table w/lamp is lovely that could go near one of the chairs - the demilune w/a lamp may suffice behind loveseat

I would consider -painting or wallpapering the backs of the built ins - lovely in the room - I think would give them greater justice - if you can somehow sneak lighting in there all the better - like undercab light - if not perhaps a little lamp on the bottom shelf of built in

what is in front of the rad?

What is the artwork, it doesn't look as though it has justice in it's current location

It's really a lovely room, & seems that it would not take much to open it up a little more and make it even more inviting

keep us posted

• msrose
    16 years ago

I like the loveseat with two chairs. Besides the reason your husband gave, I think it would just make the space more interesting.

Laurie

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Two love seats facing each other would look nice, I think.

And I just want to say that your room is just beautiful. I love all the architectural detail. I'll bet all the other rooms in your house are just as stunning. :)

• ummm
    16 years ago

i like the 4 matching chairs with a circle coffee table idea (kinda like that greenroom with the 4 toile chairs that got posted a lot here? zuzu's room i think?)

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I agree with Organic, that I feel two love seats facing each other around the area rug with the fireplace the focal point would look nice.

I love your room especially the architectural details and the valences.

• les917
    16 years ago

I would not be inclined to do two loveseats. Most people aren't crazy about sitting that close to one another, so you end up with essentially two places to sit.

I think I would do a loveseat with its back to the family room area, and two chairs and a table on the bookshelf end of the room. Rug turned the other way, of course.

You might try a nice console cabinet on the right hand wall as you look into the kitchen end, with a mirror and a lamp. I would love to see you consolidate most of the little framed photos from the bookshelves into a couple of larger collage frames and hang those collections on the large wall on the left side of the entry doorway. Then fill the bookshelves with some books, a couple of plants, and the interesting items that are already there.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

I'm not sure what you intend to use this room for but if it's for adult conversation while kids are in the FR then there are a couple of things I would do.

Two loveseats facing each other, round coffee table and 2 swivel chairs facing the fireplace (backs to the room entrance). I can picture a tall grandfather clock angled in the corner where the chair is now.

Or

One loveseat facing the FP, rectangle coffee table and a swivel chair on each side of the loveseat. Then I'd place a round game table with 4 chairs in the corner where the chair is now. This is a good way to get extra seating without taking up a whole lot of room and the table is great for coffee/dessert or playing cards or games while you watch the fire.

In either case, turn the rug.

Your bookcases are beautiful and I'd play them up to full advantage by adding some books (artfully arranged, of course)and some greenery in colorful containers. I'd place the photo frames throughout the shelves, some sitting on side layered books for height variance so that they become unexpected and delightful interruptions from the reading material.

• coleen3201118
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your ideas and input - the living room is in a state of flux for a couple of reasons - the kitchen redel and addition changed the floor plan - the living room never had a defined space before (the entry to the kitchen and wall where the chair is never existed before). I want it to be a place where people will want to sit (including me!) to sit and talk, read, enjoy the fireplace, whatever. I really want the style to be casual and comfortable. I'm so embarrassed about the state of the bookcases - we had more built ins put in with the family room and I moved everything out of the living room (becasue we're never in there!) to the family room. So between that and then removing all of the Christmas decorations, it looks, well, less than nice. I really want a leather chair - but I was inspired by a picture in the RH catalog with the two loveseats. I love all of your ideas. I agree about turning the rug - will probably replace it as I am considering changing the entire color scheme.

• wodka
    16 years ago

We just moved into our new home and had a similar dilemma. We have a large entertainment center on one side of the wall and the other side is the fireplace. We ended up going with two loveseats, two bunching tables, two chairs that share an ottoman. You can't see the entertainment center in this pic, so I'll try to send another. The picture I'm sending is kind of cluttered, because we had just moved in and also immediately decorated for Christmas. Should take some more, but you can kind of get an idea. {{gwi:1545172}}

• wodka
    16 years ago

Here's another pic, taken from the kitchen into the sitting area - {{gwi:1545173}}

• coleen3201118
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks wodka, that was kind of the idea I had in mind - can I ask if your loveseats are the same color? Difficult to tell on my monitor..

• chelone
    16 years ago

Coleen, why is that beautiful rug buried under the sofa?

Oriental rugs were the primary furnishings in the homes of nomadic peoples. In the homes/palaces of the wealthy they were regarded as functional art... not something to be hidden by furnishings.

Give your lovely rug a more prominent position in the room, please! Your walls, floor, and upholstery are beautifully in line with the palette of the rug... use it to your benefit.

• wodka
    16 years ago

Your welcome! Yes, they are matching loveseats (I think the flash faded one out.) Got mine from Bassett. The loveseats are an olive chenille type fabric, the accent pillows are a paisley, and the chairs are a brown with a thread of burgundy, like a diamond design. All pieces complement each other nicely. The sales people were a tremendous help in picking out fabrics for all.

• anele_gw
    16 years ago

I'd do the 2 chairs + loveseat combo. 4 chairs in a small space might make the room look too choppy/lack definition. 2 loveseats would look nice, but I agree with the pp . . .it would give you less seating space since people don't like to sit too close together.

I also might put a padded bench/chest under the picture near the bookcases-- it would give you more seating and storage. Another possibility instead-- could you put in a windowseat?

Lovely room!

• sparksals
    16 years ago

colleen, your LR and kitchen pics are gorgeous. Can you please tell me the colour of green in the kitchen and the colour on your Living room walls?

• coleen3201118
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks sparksals - the LR is BM Waterbury Cream and the kitchen is BM Weekend Getaway.

Anele - I was also thinking about the bench under the picture window - not under the picture because there are cabinets that open. No window seat option, unfortunately - it's a huge radiator there.

I'm wondering if I go with the loveseat/2 chair option, I'd really like a leather club chair - but would I want 2? And do the chairs need to match? Oh, I am just horrible at this!