SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t85808

Replacing HVAC - Advice please

Chris Joos
13 years ago

Hi,

I have been doing research on this forum and have learned quite a bit - thanks to all that answer questions here.

I am replacing a 2 ton AC/66k btu furnace - Carrier builders grade unit that is 14 years old. This unit only services our master bed/bathroom and sitting area. The unit has worked well except needing to add a compressor "start up help kit" a few years ago when it was kicking off the circuit breaker. We live just north of Atlanta and have relatively mild winters and hot humid summers.

I have had a couple of quotes, but am running out of time to replace and get the tax credit. The quote I am leaning towards is:

Trane

TUD2B080A9V3VA XV80 gas furnace

4TTR5024E XR15 A/C unit with matched Trane coil (didn't get model #)

New drain pan, supply & return plenum, TH8321 thermostat & new ac compressor pad

$5500 minus $1500 tax credit = $4000

My questions:

The dealer quoted an additional $875 to change to the 4TWR5024E XR15 HP - does the price difference sound right? Would you recommending paying the extra for a HP?

The dealer has also quoted $875 for a Trane Clean Effects air filter (I have one on the main floor unit and love it) and $700 for an April Air 400 humidifier (including running a water line from the basement up to the unit in an unfinished attic above the bedroom. Do these prices seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (27)