SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Hot Water Heat Fails Again

chisue
15 years ago

Short story: Friday evening our underfloor hot water heat stopped working. Was off all night. Saturday morning I called the HVAC company asking for a call back Monday a.m. Saturday afternoon the heat came back on again and has been fine since then.

Long story: In September the HVAC company we've used for many years sent a tech to do fall Preventive Maintenance. He added water to the boiler and replaced the thermocouple. I asked if he'd bled the system and he said no. (We'd had heat from this system before he came, but it was warm when he was here and we had turned the boiler thermostat way down.)

In November when it got cool and we turned the boiler thermostat up...no heat. HVAC tech #2 came. $700 later we had a new mixing valve and a new pressure reducing valve; he also drained the system. As of Dec. 1 we were supposedly good to go...until Friday's failure.

The system is 7 years old and has never given us a moment's trouble. This company installed it to supplement inadequate forced air system; it's just in two north-facing rooms.

I'm thinking a) the thermocouple didn't need replacing, and b) the replacement is faulty. (Tech #1 said something about replacing it because it was 'time'. He didn't say the original one was faulty.)

What do YOU think is going on?

Comments (15)