SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
creekylis

Trim paint dilemma... Advice, Ideas, and Pics?

creekylis
16 years ago

Okay.... I have searched these boards looking for a solution and can't quite find it. Here's my deal...

First... I *LOVE* crisp white trim. I had painted over the yellowey-tan trim in my last house and was very happy. We also had white crown moulding and 6-panel colonial doors. The only down side was that my windows really had a hard time opening after that.

Fast-forward to my current home... Here, we have lighter honey oak cabinets in our kitchen and the trim and windows throughout the house match those. The trim is not oak -- maybe stain grade pine? We also have standard luan doors. (Boring, I know.) Due to the enormous amount of work it would take to paint, coupled with the fear of ruining the windows, I have done my best to embrace the wood in this house. The trouble is... I cannot seem to find wall colors that work well with it. This trim is most definitely a COLOR in itself and it fights with nearly every other color I try. Decorating would be so much easier if it were white... but again... WHAT A TASK.

So here are my questions... Should I paint? If so, WHAT should I paint? Should I do all of it, or would it be okay to leave maybe the windows stained but paint the trim? If I do that, should I replace my doors with colonial panel doors and stain those? I have seen painted trim with stained doors/windows that looks very nice, but it seems that is always with a medium-to-dark stain -- not the more casual honey color I have.

HELP?????? THOUGHTS??? ANY PICTURES???

I will go see if I can snap a few photos of what I'm working with here for more clarity...

TIA!!!!!

Lis

P.S... I *do* know that greener tones work better with this kind of trim and I actually have a green bedroom and LOVE it... however, I'm not really thrilled with the idea of an all-green home.

Comments (4)