SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kwwny

Carrier Greenspeed backup heat mgmt

kwwny
10 years ago

I have a new Carrier Greenspeed in the mid-hudson valley of NY, near Poughkeepsie. This last week has tested it pretty well. It has worked well down to very low temps, maintains 68deg in 2800sqft, 2 zone home. VERY QUIET (compared to my old oil-fired furnace.)

I have the SYSTXCCITW01 (with wifi) thermostat.

Backup is hydronic, HW from oil fired house HW system.

I have set the HP cutoff at 4degF. However, I still see the backup heat run above this temp. Last night particularly it was down to 10degF and the hydronic was on. I am pretty sure it is not on for defrost as the equipment operating page on the thermostat clearly says when the HP is in defrost. I see the hydronic as 'on' when the HP is not in defrost. When the backup is on the HP is generally at 100%. I am not using a setback at night until I figure out how this thing works so the temp is maintained constant.

I really cannot find an explanation of how 'smart recovery' works. Mine is set to 'on.' Not sure if this is a factor.

I was assuming that the hydronic backup would not be used until the temp was below the HP cutoff (excpt for defrost or >2deg of change request). Is this not true? What are the situations where it asked for the backup heat to run?

Any ideas?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor