SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tkhooper

They must see me comming

tkhooper
13 years ago

I have a heat pump. One that is one 1/2 ton more than I need according to a friend that works for an A/C company. Unfortunately she isn't close by so I can't have that company come tell me what I need or don't for that matter.

The heating is fine. However when the weather gets hot I can't cool more than 10 degrees cooler than the outside temperature. So if it is 85 outside it's going to be 75 inside no matter what I turn the control down to.

One company said I needed a new unit estimate 5,200.00. The company that the Social Services sent out said that it only needed freon and new contacts and charged social services 382.00 to put it in and the guy spent most of the time on the phone. He also said lying was part of the job basically. I was in shell shock after I talked to him.

So do I just buy one more window a/c to cool the house and keep my heat pump until the heating system fails, and then decide on a new heating system?

I mean 5,200 dollars every 5 to 7 years is rediculous isn't it? Wouldn't I be better of with a couple of a/c units and say baseboard heating? I've heard that heat pumps are cheaper to run but that much cheaper?

Someone please tell me what I should be doing.

Comments (8)