SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twotzus

Question about undermount sink leaking

twotzus
16 years ago

Hello all,

I am worried about our undermount sink installation. Our kitchen was finished in Sept 07. We have a stainless steel double bowl undermount with a negative reveal.

A few weeks ago we noticed water in the cabinet under the sink and called the plumber. He found what he thought could be a small line leak and fixed it and also replaced our drain basket to a nicer one. Not a week later we found water in the cabinet again. Could not figure out where it is coming from. Finally, I used the sink spray to spray around the top edge of the sink (under the granite) and the water just POURED underneath in the cabinet. On close inspection, I can see cracks in the caulk all around the sink where it was caulked to the granite. The width of the caulk is 1/4 inch (I measured) which seems awfully wide to me. Also I don't think my sink should leak after only 1 and a half years.

Is this what they call a "falling" sink? Was it improperly set to begin with and they caulked too wide of a space between the sink flange and the granite? Can it be fixed?

It seems to me that this should not be happening a year and a half after a $140,000+ kitchen remodel, but perhaps it is just one of those things, or a minor fix. I don't want to be having to caulk around my sink every year and especially if the caulk bead needs to be 1/4 inch thick. I had no idea that an undermount sink could have these problems.

My hardwood floor in front of the sink has been damaged due to the water seepage under the cabinet. We couldn't figure what was causing that either.

We have a all call into the contractor. It was a design/build kitchen remodel, but I want to be prepared with facts incase they try to blow us off and tell it to caulk it ourselves.

Is this normal?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21