SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hamconsulting_gw

Kenmore Gas Dryer Problems and Solutions

hamconsulting
15 years ago

I have a 7 year old Kenmore Gas Dryer 417.91142000 that has given me a few problems over the years. I'm going to list the problems and the solutions.

First, there was no heat. This turned out to be a bad ignitor, so I replaced it myself for about $12 including tax and shipping.

Second, the dryer was making a squealing grinding high pitch noise and was also leaving stain marks on my clothes. The stain marks looked like burn marks, but weren't burn marks. This turned out to be a badly worn front upper glide felt. The felt was almost gone and was brownish in color similar to the stain marks. Over time, the gray felt turned drak brown from all the friction from the drum. The plastic tabs were completely worn out.

I replaced the upper glide felt for about $15 including shipping and handling and this solved my problem with the stains and the high pitched noise.

Next, the dryer would take hours to dry clothes that used to take 45 minutes. I replaced the ignitor, but this wasn't the problem. I hired an independent repairman who charged me $100 to replace a $3 coil.

About a year later, I was having problems again with the dryer taking over 2 hours to dry. This time I ordered my own parts and decided to replace the ignitor, coils, and front upper glide felt. It only cost me about $27 to replace everything and my dryer is back to working like new.

I'm thinking of re-ordering the same parts again to have them in stock. The front upper glide felt seems to wear out on my dryer in about a year.

I bought my parts on eBay at supplystuf (not associated, just a happy customer):

Frigidaire Drum Glide Slide Felt 5303937139 fits Gibson

Sale date: 07/05/08

$9.20

GE WE4X750 Gas Dryer Ignitor fits Frigidaire 5303281151

$6.20

Gas Dryer Valve Coils Kit for Frigidaire 5303931775 new

$3.50

Comment (1)