SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Michigan Strawberries.....finally

annie1992
13 years ago

We had a very late frost, and the early strawberries were a nearly total loss, but the later varieties escaped. So, I took a day off work last week and went and picked these beauties:

I tasted them before I picked. Well, I tasted while I was picking too, gotta make sure they are good. The owner of the u-pick says go ahead. They were good enough that I picked a little over 30 pounds:

Most of them went into the freezer, where they'll become jam and syrup or go into rhubarb pies or muffins later, but some became dessert right away, with some fresh blackberries (not local, sadly), homemade yogurt and homemade granola, with just a drizzle of honey:

Although they weren't big, they were sweet and juicy, red all the way through and tasted just like a strawberry should. We'll have about two more weeks, then the season will be over for another year.

Annie

Comments (11)

• User
    13 years ago

Oh Yum!

I'm off to the Farmers Market to get my jam berries tomorrow. We've had a few feeds for desserts and they have been lovely and sweet.

The grow a variety in the Niagara region that grows pretty much all summer. Very nice berries for desserts but too pricey for jam.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Can't get enough of them! In addition to the strawberry bread and the strawberry curd, I've also made strawberry jam.

Time for me to get more, just to eat fresh...

Nancy

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

I was ankle deep in muck this AM trying to eek out enough MI strawberries for a batch of jam. I dilly dallied getting out this morning and the big ones (what few they had) were picked over by the time I got there. I'll have to go back to the farm stand before I leave though, for some maple syrup and local cheese! On the way to the U-pick place I stopped at another stand hoping to buy some strawberries already picked, but all they had were SC peaches. The owner was offering samples and I want to give a shout out to the South Carolinians, those peaches were MIGHTY good. So I might end up making a batch of peach jam in June. Sometimes it's nice that we have interstate commerce, lol!

• Bizzo
    13 years ago

aaahhhhhh!!!!

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

I've been picking about 2 cups a day from the garden for the last few days.
    I'll have to go to the u pick for jamming berries though...

Nothing better than a just removed strawberry that goes straight in your mouth..LOL

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, L, southern Michigan got way more rain than we did, I think the berries (and everything else) are drowned! I hope it dries up a bit soon, they're flooded everywhere. Peaches are still a ways off, but I'm told our cherries look "awesome" but south of me they are a couple of weeks ahead of schedule and not as good.

Bizzo, it's sure good to see you!

terri, something about a sun ripened strawberry, right off the vine, they are just the best. Not as good after refrigeration, but they are so ripe they soften by the next day if I don't chill them. Sigh. No good alternative except eat as many as I can!

I still need to make strawberry jam too.

Annie

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

Annie, I just made this yummy stuff..

I used Agave to "taste" for the sugar. Oh and didn't seed the berries...I like fiber.~wink~

I put one batch in the freezer and just whipped up a small batch adding water that got poured into freezer pop molds(because Kamren asked) and the rest I'll finish later on the deck sunning with a book. Cuz I deserve it.

I've still got about 3/4c of the strawberry puree and 1/2 cup of lemon juice..and quite a few T of lemon zest.

I found another recipe I think I'll make halving it to "use up" the goodies on the counter.
    Strawberry Lemonade Bars

oops got some bread dough doubled..it's 70F..why the heck did I get started so late with the oven??

Oh wait...I'll be outside shortly.. Tee hee

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG, Terri, I love lemon bars and the lemon strawberry sound delicious. I HAVE to make some.

And some strawberry lemonade...

Annie

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

I'm just getting a few from my plants finally. My berry bed is in pretty sad shape and will be torn out and replaced after this season.
    I did get enough last night to make it to the house with a few.....

Off to go check out those recipes, Terri!

Deanna

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

The Strawberry Lemonade is the bomb!

The half recipe of bars is out of the oven... They have a neat color..

I'm not sure my camera is working..but I'll find it and see..

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

I'll add another YUM to this post too. Nothing like fresh strawberries. Our local crop is long gone and I'm sad to report that I missed it this year due various challenges. I'm sure I can find some that are being shipped in from other parts of the country though. I need to put up at least one batch of jam this year. Happy to report that the local peaches are coming on. The Porter Peach Festival is a couple of weeks from now and I'll be picking some of those up for sure. I just love the fruits and veggies of summer. Our local corn is about ready too. YUM!

David

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus