SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

Running hvac on generator

cindywhitall
11 years ago

I'm getting a portable generator and was wondering about hooking it to my hvac. I have read many methods of hooking it up, transfer switch, interlock and considered installing an outlet near the breaker box and a plug on the furnace wire. I don't know if installing a plug would void any warranties, and I know some towns it is against code.

The plug would be my ideal solution as we didn't even lose power in the Sandy storm and I think the switches is $ I don't need to spend since I don't mind extension cords. Trying to keep costs down. Also, the smaller unit is more efficient on gas per Watts.

My question is mainly on the circuitry of the furnace. (2-stage carrier). Generators don't put out "clean" power from what I've read. How much of a risk is it to the hvac to hook a portable generator to it? I am content with the wood fireplace (which is not tons of heat, but better than none) and some electric blankets. I'm trying to get the smaller generator (3500W) so it can also be used for tailgating and stuff as we may never need it for power failure. I don't even want to consider hooking up the furnace if I could blow the electronics and my 10 yr warranty.

We'd run the fridge, flourescent lights, tv, modem/cable box. other things as needed, for which we could shut fridge off for a few hours. Fridge not really needed if it's really cold!

I might also post this in electrical forum.

Comments (21)