SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsqx_gw

Going to start looking for a new HVAC system. General Questions.

Dsqx
9 years ago

Hi, Please feel free to skip to the bottom for my questions.

About two years ago I notice my 7 year old (at the time) air conditioner wasn't cooling and was blowing out room temperature air. I did some research at the time and came to the conclusion that it was a freon leak issue. I called a local HVAC company to come out to see if they could fix the leak and the person quoted me $200 to find and find the leak. He connected a air pressure? machine to the line and checked for leaks for nearly 3 hours. After the 3 hours pasted he said it all looked normal and he couldn't notice a leak. He said he could add freon to the system and it could last a few months or years depending on the size of the leak. I told him that if the leak was so small that he couldn't notice a change in his machine that I'll take the risk for the remaining of the year. It ended up costing $750 for everything included (I know now I over paid) and he said if it leaks out to give him a call again. After about 5 hours my system started to make the same gargling noise at the indoor evaporator coil. I called him and he came out and filled the system with more freon for free{{gwi:807}}. He said it should be good now since a "screw was loose". Long story short it leaked after another few hours and he said there was nothing he could do about it and I was out $750

A few days after that ordeal I called a friend of the family to come and check out my HVAC unit. He told me the same thing the first guy told me but said there was a temporary fix but he wouldn't recommend it since they don't use it at his company that he works for. It was a sealant that's made for sealing leaks for HVAC systems. I told him to add it since I was planning on changing my system anyways and I just wanted it to make it through the year. He bought the sealant for $45 and added the freon for $50. The system worked flawlessly for the whole year so I didn't bother changing it out. It worked great for two years until this year. My system leaked again about 3 months ago this year and I found a different guy to come and do the same thing for $225. This time it only lasted 3 months so I have decided the time has come to replace my system. I have a few questions to ask before I find someone to do this

My questions are:

I have a 3.5 ton system in a 3600 soft house. What should I expect to pay for a replacement for both heating and cooling elements? I've seen anywhere from $2500 to $15,000. That's quite the range.

What's included when I buy a new air conditioner and heater? I get different answers when I google.

This post was edited by Dsqx on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 14:27

Comments (14)