SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olivesmom_gw

Formal Dining Room: open or closed and entertaining?

olivesmom
11 years ago

I'm trying to figure out what will work for us in our next house, which will be a new build 2-3 years down the road. We currently have a very open floor plan and I know I do NOT want another one. I definitely want a closed off kitchen (with maybe a small banquette for breakfast) and a separate dining room which we would use nightly for dinner and for special occasionally and parties.

My dilemma at the moment is deciding how closed off the dining room should be. I gravitate towards more closed off dining rooms because they seem more formal and the more open style reminds me of the useless (too small and far away from the kitchen) token formal dining rooms that builders seem to slap right next to the foyer. However, I'm not sure how well a closed off dining room will work for larger parties. If the dining room is open to the foyer or living room then there would be more wiggle room when it comes to squeezing in more guests, etc. Also, for serving buffet style an open dining room would make for better flow I think. I anticipate that we would serve buffet style for most parties we throw.

Here are a few floorplans I like. I would appreciate any feedback with regard to the dining room and flow. Thanks in advance.

Closed Off Dining Rooms:

#1. William Poole "Rim Rock"

#2. William Poole "Charlton House"

More Open Dining Rooms:

#3.Donald Gardner "Sagecrest"

#4. William Poole "Bloomsbury Park"

Comments (18)