SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedajune

I Can Only Do 80% Due to Flue Situation - Which Furnace?

friedajune
12 years ago

Background:

I need to replace my 20-year-old furnace. I live in Chicago, in a townhome development built in early '90's. My townhome is 3 stories, about 2000 s.f., attached on each side, no basement. Wall insulation is good, but there are significant drafts from the large windows. The thermostat is a Honeywell 7-day programmable, about 7 years old.

Funds are too short to replace the AC too, so just the furnace. The existing furnace is a Carrier, 110,000 btu's, 80% efficiency. The company who has been doing my maintenance for the last 7 years gave me a quote. They only install Carrier (which they've been working with since 1957). They had done a load calculation too, and the 110,000 btu's is appropriate.

I don't have a basement. And, if I tried to run a new PVC flue out the back of the house, it would be venting into a common area of other townhomes, which is prohibited by Chicago Code. So I need to use my existing metal chimney. Therefore, I cannot install a 92-95% furnace.

I won't be eligible for tax credits from Fed, local gas company or state. But I will save on the upfront cost of purchasing an 80% furnace. I will be getting a 2-stage furnace, but I do not want a variable motor. The salesperson admitted he won't be the lowest bidder, because of "their installation expertise, quality of technicians, knowledge, customer service, and years of experience in the business". Anyway, their quote was $2600 for the Carrier Performance 80 2-stage furnace, manufacturer's warranty (one-year on parts and labor, 10-year on parts, 20-year on heat exchanger).

Questions

- Should I be looking at York also, or another brand?

- are there are good brands which will be more efficient than 80% (like 85%?) while still not requiring a chimney replacement?

- Is $2600 very high, given that I live in Chicago?

Comments (31)