SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tricia21_gw

Trash placement (final cabinet layout) & Microwave Placment

Tricia21
11 years ago

Hi all,
I'm finalizing the cabinet layout and I'm stuck on a couple things. These are being custom built so we can play around with sizing, etc. In a nutshell, we have a galley kitchen that goes longer on one side. One the shorter side, it will be the fridge, counter, sink, dishwasher. So in this run, I will only have one bank of drawers/cabinets on the bottom (not including the sink). Originally, I was thinking it would best to put the trash pullout in that run with the silverware drawer on top. It will be 18" wide cabinet space. Now I'm thinking, would it be better to have that spot be 4 drawers since it's b/w the sink and fridge?

If we move it, I would have the trash on the range side and put it in one of 3 drawer banks to the right of the range but it will be a wider cabinet which i'm guessing would be a waste of space since it will probably be either 30 or 24".

2 things I'm thinking about: Is it gross to have your silverware drawer over the trash? Would a 4 drawer bank be more useful next to the sink or is it better to have the trash right there next to the sink (that's what I was thinking originally)?

Truthfully, nothing is very far in this kitchen and ultimately, I'd probably be totally happy with either.

Lastly, I originally was going to put the micro in a base cabinet next to the range but now I'm thinking that space is better served with drawers and I should move it to an upper cabinet next to range. My cab maker can make those hinged and slide in door cabinets but says that they start to come off the hinges all the time and he's constantly repairing them. 2 Questions: Do you think it's weird to have the micro in a regular cabinet with a door? I don't want to see it all the time and I figure if it breaks, we have a decent size space with a shelf above to just change out a microwave rather than worry about fitting a new one perfectly. And also, those with the microwaves in an upper cabinet position, how is it? (we're not a tall family)!

Thanks!

Tricia

Comments (22)