SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chefflara

reducing heating cost with heater/ceiling fans

chefflara
13 years ago

Hi,

I am in an upper apartment. It is heated only by a wall mounted ventfree natural gas space heater in the living room. I also have ceiling fans in the liv. room, kitchen and dining area. The heater does not regulate itself well at all, so I often come home to a house where either the flame goes out, or sometimes its stays on and the rooms are too hot. My landlord will come up and adjust it but problem returns. I'd rather not use this heater, I do believe there are safety issues with fumes even though there are sensors to prevent harmful gasses. After some research, I really think this thing belongs in a garage or somewhere more ventilated. So, even though I'll have to keep it on when I'm out I would like to use low wattage oil filled heaters while I am home and turn the thing off.

There are the 400 watt oil heaters out there, which I would use so I dont blow fuses. Do you think using these heaters (one or two) along with keeping my ceiling fans on would be adequate winter heating. I am in New York.

Comments (4)