SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamis1021

Kitchen Remodel Complete (w/ pix)

jamis1021
13 years ago

After spending countless hours researching tips, successes, failures, and general kitchen and appliance product reviews, I felt I owed it back to the forum to share our remodel experiences and let you wander through our photo album to see our progress.

Our design was significantly influenced by Poliform's Varenna Kitchens and other modern, European designs -- fortunately, we were able to save a lot of money by contracting with a relatively young cabinet maker who was recommended by a trusted architect -- this enabled us to achieve the look we were hoping for within a budget we could afford.

To summarize, these are the appliances and products we installed:

* Wolf E-Series Double Ovens - Unframed w/ Tubular Handles

* Wolf 36" Gas Cooktop

* Wolf 15" Multi-Function Gas Cooktop Module (floor model)

* Wolf Microwave w/ Trim Kit (scratch-n-dent)

* ProLine Range Hoods - 48" Stainless Island Hood

* Sub-Zero 15" Undercounter Ice Maker (used)

* Thermador 30" Freedom Column Refrigerator - w/ Custom Panel

* Thermador 18" Freedom Column Freezer - w/Custom Panel

* Sub-Zero 72" Appliance Pulls (on Refrigerator/Freezer)

* Bosch Dishwasher (existing)

* White Oak Flooring - Rift/Quarter Sawn - Clear sealant

* Benjamin Moore paints (13 different colors throughout the remodel)

* Custom Kitchen Cabinets

o Grey-stained, Rift-Sawn White Oak

o Soft-close cabinets, drawers

o Blum hardware

o All-Maple Drawers

o Amerock pulls

o Ikea Toe Kicks - Stainless

o LED Under-cabinet and Over-cabinet lights from Lowes

* Caesarstone - Blizzard Countertops, 2cm

* Ticor S6513 Undermount 16-Gauge Tight Radius Stainless Kitchen Sink

* Kohler Karbon K-6227-C11-CP Kitchen Faucet

* 2 Velux Skylights

Remaining tasks:

* Backsplash - designing a back-painted glass using the same wall color

* Bar Stools - something clean, simple, and hopefully comfortable.

A few things we absolutely LOVE:

* The Island -- it's huge! 120" x 63" (including a 15" overhang). We designed the drawers, pullouts, cabinets, countertop and bookshelf to help us prep and cook in accommodating and entertaining crowds. The spacious cabinets underneath the countertop on the front side provide critical storage space for platters, serving dishes, trays, and more platters. The bookshelf holds all of the cookbooks in one location. There is a drawer, pullout, or cabinet for everything!

* The Wolf products -- but specifically the gas cooktops. This is our first experience with gas. We originally had planned to purchase a Wolf rangetop, but preferred the cleaner look of the cooktop. We feared that the cooktop, however, would underperform to our btu expectations. We found the sister Multi-Function unit on a showroom steal and are thrilled with the 22,000 btu it puts out. The combination of the two units is perfect for our needs and gave us the look we were seeking.

* The Kohler Karbon -- it took my wife a few hours to warm up to it, as it was a surprise purchase - she didn't see it until it was installed (too late) - but now she sings its praises.

* Open Space -- we demolished a fireplace and chimney, removed walls -- all to open the living, dining and kitchen areas into one happy open space.

I owe my apologies to our GC, Cabinet Maker, and installers for being the consummate helicopter client - I hovered effectively for four months as we transformed our home. We are thrilled with the results and could not be happier with our kitchen.

Browse through the near-complete results, installation, construction, demolition, and before photos here:

http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/j475/jamis1021/?albumview=slideshow

Here are a few photos from that album:

Comments (45)

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, looks like it belongs on Houzz.com! LOVE the new, open layout! Great job and enjoy the space!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Those cabinets are gorgeous. The open space is great. Love the large island. Enjoy.

• Related Discussions

Finished Bathrooms w/pix II

Q

Comments (1)
    I'd love to see, but your photos show up as red circles on my computer.
    ...See More

Nearly Done U Kitchen w/pix (needs backsplash of course!)

Q

Comments (15)
    Thank you all for your thoughts and support. The community here helped me pick my granite--I had one really long post with photos and had people give their opinions. Laura, I got it at a company called Cosmos; they are in several cities. Gemini, I love ABBS! Shorter to write, that's for sure. Mizinformation--I am rooting for your success! Our shelves weren't adjustable and given the number of other cabinets we needed, we opted to completely start over. Did you have those wonderful soffits to remove? We all had a turn with the Sawzall at least once. We did save a number of 2x4s from the soffits, and I have pix of my mother-in-law pulling nails out of them. B/S: I am leaning toward a light blue for the backsplash to pick up the color in the granite. I have seen some glass ones I like (kinda spendy for my budget) but now I'm stuck on what I'm doing with my shower. (I'd want all the tile done at the same time.)
    ...See More

Color-challenged couple needs help w/remodeled kitchen walls!

Q

Comments (6)
    i was never into gray until i saw mystery's kitchen. i love them now and for you...that color would really sing with the bordeaux and gray in the stone. wood looks lovely next a rich gray as well. i have a ralph lauren wheel here....i love polaris gray...soft and towards an old silver in tone...but (ugly name) sweatshirt gray is also gorgeous. grey stone and neutral graY work as well/ i'd grab a few samples and see how they woek in the space. i think they would be very elegant myself
    ...See More

Complete kitchen remodel - Please help!

Q

Comments (24)
    funkycamper, I see you're point with the fridge location. I'm totally open to making the swap. Actually, we're pretty open to just about any great ideas that make sense! The island is located where it is in the drawings only because of where the columns will need to be once the wall comes down. Again, I'm open to any suggestions as to how else we might be able to handle the support columns that won't detract from the function/look of the space. I thought about swapping the living and dining rooms but thought it would be strange to walk in the front door directly into the dining room with a large dining table right at the front of the house. I'm going to play around with the design program some more today and try switching the island orientation and swapping the oven & fridge and see how my wife feels about those changes. Other than what's been suggested, how does the rest of the layout look? You all have also made me very curious about the swap of the kitchen and dining room. I still think that would be a much more difficult, lengthy and costly option, but I'd like to at least look into how that might work. Does anyone have an idea for a quick layout as to how that swap would look with all the zones properly organized? Thank you all!
    ...See More
  • xand83
    13 years ago

I *love* your cabinet color! The whole effect is very clean & restrained. Great job! I would like to think I could pull of something similar someday, with a big kitchen. But I know I would have to throw in something shiny, like an iridescent mosaic or glass subway tile. Is that out of the question? When you say the back splash will equal the wall color, do you mean more gray/blue? A clean textured backs splash would be great, especially if it contrasted the blue.

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Thud. Astounding.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Very nice :) Like the horizontal graining a lot.

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

amazing! You have one beautiful kitchen!!!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

That is simply gorgeous. The color choice on the cabinets is inspired. Many thumbs up.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful kitchen. I am a sucker for expansive counter tops and so love all your counter space. The island, with the vent is a real show-stopper. Love it.

• vsbonanni
    13 years ago

Very nice! Enjoy : )

• gryane
    13 years ago

I love what you did! So great to see some modern kitchens on here! Love the cabinet color and the contrast with the white counters. Love your sink and faucet too. Beautiful!!!!!

• adel97
    13 years ago

It's beautiful! I absolutely love the contrast of dark cabinets and white countertops. It looks so serene, I don't think it needs a showy backsplash at all. I hope mine looks half as nice when I'm done!

II will probably be using CS Blizzard as well. Are you happy with it? Was there a particular reason why you used 2 cm slabs vs. 3 cm?

Enjoy your gorgeous kitchen!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

My son asked why I had said "whoa!" and I had not realized I said that out loud, lol...
    Your kitchen is gorgeous and after seeing your huge island, it makes me wish we went bigger too. Your kitchen looks beyond functional, into dramatic and chic.
    Please, please, please tell me where you got your couch and if it comes in other colors! I had been picturing a shape like that but could not put it exactly into words. Yours is perfection! Could the legs possibly be chrome? Be still my heart....

• SugarCookie
    13 years ago

Absolutely perfect! Love the cabinets, counters and floors... just beautiful! THAT ISLAND!!! May I come and cook at your house?! It's not just a wow look, it's a great cooking space. Hope you have many wonderful hours enjoying your kitchen. Thanks for sharing. :)

• dar5
    13 years ago

Stunning. Love the dark grey stain...and it ties in with the rest of the room so perfectly! Enjoy...

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I've been sitting here, trying to come up with the right words.....they escape me. Your remodel is fantastic!

It won't be too much longer and my own remodel will be finished and you will be surprised. Contemporary, horizontal wood grain...

Yup, I love what you did!

Nancy

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Astounding! Absolutely astounding!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Beautiful & oh so functional contemporary space! Love, love, love the cab color with Blizzard. Great redo of the entire space! Enjoy!

• kathylquiltz
    13 years ago

Drop dead gorgeous! I hope you enjoy it for many many years!

• houseful
    13 years ago

That is beautiful!! You have done an amazing job with the color coordination. I have island envy:)

You are the only other person I know with a Proline Range Hood. I love(d) mine for the most part, but after a week of using it, the circuit board went out. They are covering all the costs of repair, but it's frustrating. What do you think of yours so far? It looks fabulous, that's for sure.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

It looks right out of a magazine for urban design. It belongs in a highrise penthouse in NY or London!! WOWWWWWWW....

Very sharp looking. Great design, great cabinets, appliances, counter.. everything.

Love it!

• taggie
    13 years ago

Wow, what a fabulous kitchen! Great job, and congratulations!

• ZacsDaddy
    13 years ago

Beautiful ... so happy to see more dark cabinets with light countertops!!! You've done a fantastic job.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

I love its originality! And it feels so open and tranquil.

ENjoy!

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Oh yeaaaah niiiiiiiice!!! So cool, clean, chic, spacious and sleek. I've got to check out your slide show. I'm hoping there are some before pics, because I bet it's quite different from the original.
    Curious what part of the country do you live in?

• kaysd
    13 years ago

What a gorgeous open space! I love the gray stained cabinets with horizontal graining. The blue accent wall is a great touch. What is on each side of the wall ovens?

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Holy lord in heaven!!!!!!! Ditto what everyone else said.

Are those pantry caves next to the ovens?

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

WOW! That is so put together! It looks like an ad for something (dunno what).

Nothing leaps out and shrieks "Look at me", which is my hot button. It's balanced.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I just took a good look at your album, I am totally amazed at the transformation. Gorgeous! Stunning taste. I commented last night but needed a new fix this morning.

Have you lived in the house for long?

Nancy

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Fantastic! Love the paint colors! Love it all!

• HulaGalJ
    13 years ago

What a well-integrated living space and really sleek handsome cabinets! And may I say, SUPER COOL faucet. Congrats!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Love the huge island, and I am envious of your storage!

Contemporary with a retro feel. I could move right in. Love the sectional and rug, too.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

freakin' awesome! truly gorgeous. I love looking at the finished kitchens on this site, and one of the things I love about it is that I see kitchens that I never would have thought were my style (I guess I'm more traditional) but then I see them and LOVE them. I could easily fall in love with using that kitchen every day. GREAT JOB!

• research_queen
    13 years ago

Stunning. Clean and sleek, yet warm and inviting. Enjoy it!!

• contemporganic
    13 years ago

Looks fabulous! What color blue is that on the wall near the kitchen...love it!

• jamis1021
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Your reactions and responses have been so generous. When you take on a project like this there is so much second-guessing that goes on throughout the lifecycle that reading your favorable posts makes the endeavor even more gratifying.

At the risk of over-sharing, there was a moment at the end of the project that I'll always cherish. My wife and I were cleaning the final left-over installation mess of cardboard, dust, papers, hardware, tools - it was about 1:00am. I said to her "step back here, and look at what we have done!" Big crocodile tears welled-up and she responded "this is the kitchen I always dreamed of!" You can't buy those kinds of moments.

In response to a few of your questions and comments:

* sharonite -- we are very happy with the CS Blizzard. We were tempted to go with their Pure Whte, but glad to have a tiny fleck in the quartz while maintaing a very white look from a distance. My wife was very confident she wanted 2cm to keep a low profile for the counter -- she did not want it to look or even feel thick. Hopefully, that won't result in it being more susceptible to chipping, but we are loving it for now.

* dianalo -- the sofa is made by Gamma International. We searched for this sofa for years, saved our pennies, and finally had it ordered. It's a couple of years old now, but the shape and quality deliver the design punch we hoped it would. The legs are a polished chrome, and the pillows can be ordered in any color.

* houseful -- I was tempted to spend more than twice the money for a more reputable hood, but ended up with the ProLine Range Hood -- hopefully we'll get lucky and not have the issues you describe. Fortunately, we live in Utah and they have a distribution warehouse not far from our home in the event that we experience trouble. I really wanted that movable Miele model -- but that would've blown too much of the appliance budget. Unfortunately, Zephyr didn't make a 48" island hood, or I would've jumped on that.

* breezygirl and kaysd -- I still am laughing at your description of the pantry -- yes they are "pantry caves" -- we love the space, wide and deep!

* wizardnm -- we have lived in this home for 21 years, my wife grew up in the home, so the transformation is dramatic for us.

I'm happy to share or comment on any questions -- keep asking!

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Blum Aventos HF hardware is what pulls your wall cabinet doors up and out of the way.

Do you like it? REally like it?

In your kitchen it's installed high on the cabinet wall, and this makes the doors when raised stay open like wings spread out.

I installed mine lower on the cabinet walls and it makes the doors when raised look more like wings folded in.

--

What a change! Congratulations.
    --

I have 2cm off white quartz countertops too.

• jamis1021
    Original Author
    13 years ago

davidro1 -- they are Blum Aventos HF -- and we are thrilled with them. As you have described, our cabinets are a little higher on the wall -- we did this to ensure we have sufficient clearance for small appliances like a Kitchen Aid Mixer.

The only isssue is if someone who is tall (say 6'4") opens the bifold cabinet aggressively, they can push the cabinet beyond "open" and the cabinet can hit the ceiling. I would've loved higher ceilings, but that was not possible. We are not too tall (5'10" and 5'4" respectively) so we open them to about 3-4 inches short of the ceiling.

Overall, we are very happy we chose Blum hardware.

• muskokascp
    13 years ago

Wow what a beautiful space! Love the cabinets and the color, sleek design, tons of storage - just wonderful! Enjoy all the special moments to come entertaining family and friends.

Especially enjoy seeing the large island since ours is also to be 120 X 60 - why the 63" for yours? I am shying away from the Caesarstone because the largest slabs are 55" - was this a concern for you and how visible is the seam and where did you choose to place it? I would love to go 65" with our island ( for an appliance fit) but worry it may be too wide at that size- how do you find the 63" - can you reach all parts? So many agonizing decisions, which I am sure you can understand!!

Love it again. Wonderful job!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

At this point, my post can only climb onto the back of all the previous posts of praise and admiration and say "ditto!" Truly stunning! Congratulations!

• muskokascp
    13 years ago

Oh , one other question - what are the aisle distances around the island and the length of your sink wall all the way to the oven cabinets? Sorry for all the questions..helps me visualize the space around such a large island!!

• jamis1021
    Original Author
    13 years ago

* muskokascp -- we went with 63" island depth in order to accommodate 2 24" depth cabinets (drawers on back side side and cabinets on the front side) + a 15" overhang to eat at the counter with bar stools. 12" overhang was not enough for my tastes -- too much kicking of the cabinet doors on the front side.

The Caesarstone seam is on the cooktop side runs the width of the island (8" on from the edge). It is visible, but not too noticeable -- definitely a trade off. I'm happy with the results.

I'm glad you asked about the spacing around the island. The aisles are all 48" counter to counter and a couple inches more to the pantry. One of the "best things" about the kitchen -- very roomy and multiple people are able to work and walk through the space without interference. We were fortunate to have the space to work with.

• taggie
    13 years ago

"At the risk of over-sharing, there was a moment at the end of the project that I'll always cherish. My wife and I were cleaning the final left-over installation mess of cardboard, dust, papers, hardware, tools - it was about 1:00am. I said to her "step back here, and look at what we have done!" Big crocodile tears welled-up and she responded "this is the kitchen I always dreamed of!" You can't buy those kinds of moments. "

That is very cool!! (And I don't think it's possible to over-share anything about kitchens on this board ... what's more fun to talk about, lol.)

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Blum Aventos HF again:

Yes, your cabinets are a little higher on the wall -- and so are mine!!

The placement of the Blum Aventos HF spring mechanism is what I was trying to draw your attention to. Inside each cabinet, these Aventos HF hinges are not screwed at the "correct" height as per Blum instructions. I know because I have cabinets with these, and I called Blum several times to ask about changing the height in order to get a different angle when the fronts were opened. No go, according to the Blum people I spoke to. But, I wasn't satisfied that they had ever tested it out any other way, or asked about it anywhere. so it is good to see that yours work well.

To stop the cabinet fronts from going too high and hitting the ceiling, Blum sells "angle stops". I got them. They are great.

I'll bet your hardware installer doesn't read instructions, take courses, watch videos or ask questions. The two points I mentioned above are two clues, but it doesn't mean I'm certain. Also one more: in your photos I saw some of the unweighted spring arms left in a dangerous position, specifically forbidden in the piece of paper that Blum includes in every box of Aventos parts. No harm done in pointing this out now, I hope.

Here is a sentence from one of my emails to the Blum people I dealt with:
    "Accessories Box #10 has Opening Angle stop 104 degrees part no. 20F7051. Do these come in pairs?"
    Buy them. It is worth it to have the spring automatically come to a stop right under the ceiling.

If you re-install the Aventos lower down on the cabinet side, the spring arms become shorter and this makes the geometry of the two panels totally different when opened.

By the way, do you know if you got the spring that is lightest, mid-range, or heaviest? There is a lot of overlap, so it's not critical.

Hth!!

----

I mentioned I have the same countertop. Perhaps you might want to look at my backsplash. For now, look on the web for "Random White Hirsch Murano glass tiles".

• jamis1021
    Original Author
    13 years ago

davidro1 -- thanks for the tip on the Aventos hinge -- I now understand what you are referring to. I'll do my homework on the "angle stops" and see about getting them installed. Cheers!

• rado
    12 years ago

While looking for island vents, I stumbled on your post. Just LOVE your kitchen!!!!

I am looking for an island vent. We have a 36" Thermador stove on an island, and was interested in the Proline Island Vent : "42" Island Hood PLFI 750.42, 1100cfm".

I know yours is a bit bigger, but wanted to ask the following questions, now that you have had time to use yours for some months :

1) How happy are you with this vent?
    2) How is the noise level? this is my biggest concern, as our kitchen and living room are open to each other. Is this vent very noisy?? My kids often watch TV while I cook in the kitchen
    2) How high above the stove was your vent? I like the height I see in your pictures. We have a 10 foot ceiling. Generally they say 30" above the stove, I am trying to see if I can go a few inches higher - but don't want to compromise the pulling power.
    3) Did you have to get an extension kit for your vent?
    4) What about mounting the vent .. any special thing you had to do or order to support it in the midde of the room?
    5) How big was the duct out?
    6) Overall what is your feedback about Proline customer service?

Sorry for the multiple questions ... but seeing someone with similar vent that I like it sure helps!!

Thanks!!