SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrehberg_gw

Brief cycles for hot-water furnace

mrehberg
15 years ago

Hello from Anchorage, AK!

A few years ago, we had a Well-McLain sealed combustion natural gas furnace installed to run our hot-water baseboard heat and to run our heat-exchanger hot water heater. Air comes down thru a pipe in the chimney and exhaust back out. It runs 3 zones with digital thermostats and sits in the center of our lower level.

When it was installed, I remember they 'sized' the furnace for -19 F - I seem to remember that meant that, for our size house, the furnace should run more or less continuously when the outside temperature is around -19, based on the size of our house and whatever other math they did.

It will often short-cycle, running for 10-30 seconds, then sitting for a minute or so, then repeating. This happens in the summer and the winter, but doesn't happen all the time. It's fairly regular but not constant. I'm wondering if anyone on the board has experienced this, and if so what their heating company did to fix it.

I'm mainly looking to be armed with a bit of info on what the options might be before we call the company to come out and have a look.

Now... is this the sort of thing that an outdoor thermostat is designed to help with? Is this just what happens at certain combinations of temperature and hot water heater demand? Do my thermostats need to be set with a delay and/or anticipation feature to prevent this?

Comments (12)