SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa1958_gw

Custom window treatment not right - what are my rights?

Lisa1958
18 years ago

One year ago we moved into a new home which will most likely be the one we will stay in forever. I wanted to do everything "just right" so instead of my usual do-it-yourself window treatments and coverings I opted to go the professional route. I started with the kitchen since that room was the most hideous and those had to be replaced immediately. I hired a woman whose company deals exclusively in window treatments. She came over to discuss my ideas, measure and make recommendations. I finally decided on fabric and style and placed the order. The treatment was installed this week and I am not happy with it. I have a Vertiglide shade over the sliding door with an inside mount, one stationary panel and a covered cornice to top it all. A photo is below. As can be seen in the picture, the headrail to the Vertiglide is not covered by the cornice and I think that is wrong. When I complained, she admitted that when installing the cornice to the ceiling (standard 8 feet) and using an inside mount the cornice could not cover the headrail. During our planning and discussions, she never told me that the headrail would show and I assumed it would be covered (isn't that part of the reason to install a cornice?) I think she should have known this would happen and advised me of it before we went ahead with the project. At this point, I think she needs to fix it by making a new cornice that will cover the headrail or supplying me with an outside mount Vertiglide that can be installed so that the headrail doesn't show. I don't think she is going to be willing to do that for me. She has pretty much blamed it on me because "you wanted an inside mount". The whole thing cost just over $2000.00. Am I wrong in expecting it to look right? If I was expected to figure all the measurements I could have gone to Lowe's or Home Depot and saved myself a few bucks! Any opinions?

Image link:

Comments (6)