SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iamskc

Their mistake, right? On builder's dime not mine. Right?

iamskc
9 years ago

Story... after a LONG wait for the guys to "be available" we were suppose to start framing today. So last night I visit the lot to do a final survey of the foundation and notice my walk-up from the basement to the backyard is a 13ft opening. I recall I only chose an 8ft sliding door for that space and regret not maximizing the opportunity for more light So early this morning I write my builder and project manager and windows and doors guy and say "I didn't sign off on my windows and doors yet so I'm not sure if this is a 'change order' or not but I would like to add a sidelight to my 8ft door to increase the natural light in my basement. Can we quickly price that out?"

Now I should say I never get a friendly response anytime I write my builder. It's just not been his style. I get a response saying I should've sign off on doors and windows a long time ago and I need to get this settled immediately with the windows/door guy and should understand that it might delay things.

I respond in my cheerful way saying "Yes, that's why I wrote this morning. I will let you know the moment your windows/doors vendor calls or emails me back!" So I wait. By the end of this afternoon I hear back from the windows/door guy who says adding a sidelight to the 8ft sliding glass door will cost about $560. I say "great! Let's do it. And I'm happy to do the official sign off on all the doors and windows this minute so send the new quote."

He does. And I believe it's been settled.

Then this evening I get an email from the builder saying the framers have already framed in the walk up this morning. They will have to tear it down and redo the whole thing and the larger opening will cost more because it needs a special header now that it's a wider glass. I need to add approximately $550 to the $560 cost of the sidelight to "redo" what they did this morning.

hm. Two things...

1) I never signed off on windows and doors so they shouldn't have framed the door this morning.

And TWO, and the whole point of my sharing this story, I quickly drove to the lot to see what had to be ripped out and redone that will cost $550 and they framed in the wrong size door anyway!! They only framed for a 6ft door not an 8ft door. So it would have to be ripped out and re-done even if I didn't want to add a sidelight!

So what should I pay for and what should I refuse to pay for? They shouldn't have framed in the first place. And they framed it incorrectly. But because I asked for a change before I knew it was incorrect (or even framed) the builder wants me to pay for ripping it out.

Opinions?

thank you.

Comments (12)