SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljszone5

cracked boiler, whose fault?

16 years ago

One day last March I came home for my lunch break and heard the smoke alarm in the basement going off. The basement was filled with a hot, hazy-sooty smell (pretty much smoke). No flames. I shut the furnace off and called the gas company. Several hours later the gas company came and checked out the system and said it was fine. We pay extra for an extended service plan which fixes things without charge. I insisted that something was wrong and was not comfortable just turning it on again. He called a coworker, they checked it again and basically treated me as though I was crazy-- said perhaps there was dust on my smoke alarms. When husband came home from work he looked at the furnace and immediately noticed there was not a drop of water in tube! We put water in on a regular basis and the furnace doesn't run if it is out. We made several useless calls to managers to find out what happened-isn't that a simple thing to notice? If something is broken why wasn't it repaired?

Now this fall we filled it with water, ran it and the smoke came back-we shut the furnace off and called the gas company. One of the same guys came and said, "oh, sorry, your boiler is cracked." We had a plumber/contractor come to give us an estimate for installing a new furnace and he said we should call the Attorney General, our house could have blown up and the gas co. definitely have some responsibility to us. We have been calling the gas company all week- it was 25 degrees outside last night, we have had NO heat for a week they haven't called us back. Your feedback/suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (30)