SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twizzlebug

Is it time to replace oil boiler? + other questions..

twizzlebug
15 years ago

Hello- I hope you can all help. Our current oil-steam boiler is a Sun Ray; no idea of age- we've been here since 1985 & it wasn't new back then. It is at least 5' high- a behemoth. So far, other than changing the burner 20 yrs. ago, it works perfectly. The efficiency 'rating' is always approx. 80-82%. Boiler also heats our hot water. Our house is a small colonial [1200 sq/ ft. above ground] w/ basement; radiators.

However, with the cost of oil + we live in New England, I am seriously concerned we will get slammed financially this winter. Last year our budget cap was $3.20/gal.- who knows what will happen now?

We have discussed converting to gas, but our chimney is likely to require an over-haul; the price of gas is rumored to be rising by 40%; and, we're both uncomfortable with gas.

Our oil co. is working up an estimate- they have said that the cost will be over $6000 to replace the boiler. Brand unknown. [I will post this as soon as I know.] Also, the new boiler/furnace will be a 'bit' noisier and the basement obviously not as warm.

Additionally, the current system is only single zone.

I would greatly appreciate ALL help that can be offered. We have no idea of what to do, whose information to trust, etc. We're not even sure we should change boilers- although the oil co. 'promises' we will save at least 40% of our current oil bill for the year- based on the prices not changing. Is that even realistic?

Thank you all so much!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations