SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
country_smile

Limoncello - time needed to cook off alcohol content

country_smile
13 years ago

In April I asked for suggestions for desserts and annie posted the recipe listed below. I love this sorbet and now that the weather is warm, I make it for a refreshing treat for my family. My question is, if I follow the recipe as listed, does it cook out all of the alcohol content or does some of it remain in the dessert?

I researched about wine and found that the alcohol content evaporates at 178 degrees so when I add it to something and bring it to a boil, it's gone but the taste remains which is what I had thought was the case. Is limoncello the same or does that fall under a different category?

Limoncello-Mint Sorbet with Fresh Blackberries

2 cups water

1-1/3 cups sugar

1/2 cup limoncello

1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 large lemons

1/2 cup chopped fresh mint

2 cups blackberries

Lemon slices

1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; add lemon juice and mint. Cover and chill.

2. Strain juice mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon sorbet into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm. Serve with blackberries; garnish with lemon slices, if desired.

8 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup sorbet and 1/4 cup berries)

CALORIES 184 ; FAT 0.2g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.1g); CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 13mg; CARBOHYDRATE 39.3g; SODIUM 1mg; PROTEIN 0.6g; FIBER 2g; IRON 0.2mg

Cooking Light, MAY 2009

Comment (1)