SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

For those that don't have external water/ice on frig

shelly_k
15 years ago

I'm just curious what you do for water and ice when you don't have it in the door of your frig. I noticed quite a few finished kitchens without this feature. I personally, love being able to put my glass right up there and get water and ice. But I do like the sleek look of a stainless frig without the water and ice.

Do you have a filter water spout on your sink? Icemaker somewhere else or open the door of your freezer?

Comments (35)

• Nicole Valentine
    15 years ago

We gave that up in new kitchen but did install the filtered water chiller next to the instahot on the sink. It's very good, nice and cold for a quick drink of water and if we need ice we open the freezer drawer. Turned out to be a much easier change than we thought.

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

filtered water on inside of fridge - ice maker in freezer - that option never allured me - esp w/lots of kiddies looks like a toy to them -
    I think a lot of people not only appreciate the streamlined look w/o that, it eliminates water drips on ss
    good luck

• Related Discussions

Vintage kitchen advantage...you don't have to hide the fridge!

Q

Comments (40)
    We're in the market for a fridge, and the main thing is that it be reliable. We're using a super cheap 14 cu/ft place-holder until the house is done, but the darn thing runs perfect! We would prefer a bottom freezer, but a top freezer would be OK. We fell out of love with the french door models, although they seem to be taking over. I'll have to check the reviews on the Artistry to see how it stacks up. We don't care about ice makers or water dispensers either. While talking pricey vintage look fridges, check out Elmira. Beautiful, but 4 times what I would spend.
    ...See More

48" frig help- Don't want water in door. How do I get cold water?

Q

Comments (26)
    we use these: http://www.target.com/p/anchor-glass-bistro-pitcher-2qt/-/A-15295071?sid=2124S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Dining+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Dining&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9007220&lsft=gclid:CIOI39DP384CFYQkhgodKpQHHQ,gclsrc:aw.ds&gclid=CIOI39DP384CFYQkhgodKpQHHQ&gclsrc=aw.ds have 3 on our door.... we all drink water all day....
    ...See More

CD French Door--internal water vs. external water/ice

Q

Comments (12)
    Definitely the water and ice dispenser inside, IF you must have that feature. I find the external ones very unsightly and unnecessary. I have a plastic scoop in my ice bin for people to use when filling their glasses. No hands in the ice. And if you can swing it, a filter faucet works way better than the water dispenser in the fridge. But contrary to what Patricia stated, "Freezing does not kill germs and bacteria. Instead, it essentially puts them into hibernation. They are inactive while the food is frozen and will “wake up” as soon as the food thaws. And as the food thaws, so will the moisture, which means the bacteria will have the moisture it needs to survive."
    ...See More

Buyer beware, if you don't have time for these , do not get them.

Q

Comments (22)
    Mike, As far as phals I'll repot anytime of year and I only change the media when I have to repot or divide. The phal in the picture above has been in the same spagh since the fall of 2019, I suspect I'll need to repot for aesthetic and media reasons in the next 6-8 months. As far as bark based plants, I use an orchiata mix that in my experience can last 2-3 years anyhow, so repotting is not done because of media breakdown usually. I gently pack spagh when I use it, I prefer a little large sponge rock in it if available. Here is the same phal as above, this morning with a few more blooms. It is hanging from a hook in the lip of the pot currently as it leans so bad it almost touches ground when sitting in pot straight. That's a leaf of another violacea to the front left, it has 1 fading bloom so not much to show. If you look closely the phal in the back is a mutant, the lip and bottom 2 petals fused on all blooms. It grows weird too, so some kind of genetic mutation. I like the oddness and floriferous (6 spikes currently) of it so I keep it around. Bob
    ...See More
  • Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Filter water spout on the main sink, we don't use ice except for making cocktails. :) We have the ice cubes in an ice bucket in the fridge to set out for that purpose.

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

We installed a whole house water filter. It was cost effective compared to having multiple units for faucets, ice, etc. requiring filters to be replaced, and it automatically backwashes weekly. It's nice for shower & bath water as well as drinking & cooking.

We chose an undercounter icemaker rather than one in the freezer. The ice tastes better & we have more space in the freezer. The icemaker is located in a beverage area in our family room near a patio door, eliminating traffic in the kitchen.

• gwent
    15 years ago

Maybe our area has "good"water but we just keep a Brita filter water pitcher in the refrigerator and I make ice cubes the "old fashioned way" in freezer. I wanted to keep the exterior of the refrigerator free of any exterior adds ons cause I guess we just not big ice water people.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I personally have never liked the water through the fridge door dispenser. I have a filter water spout at the sink and my freezer has an ice maker. I don't like ice water so my water is usually cold enough straight from the filter.

Good luck!

• november
    15 years ago

Filter spout inside the fridge door, ice in the icemaker. My kids would go crazy with a door ice maker!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Ice in the icemaker, water from tap (good horrors!), no spills, lower costs, more energy efficiency, no problem.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Nothing on the door. There's going to be an icemaker in the freezer - I've never had one before so I'm very excited about it (even though I don't use much ice). But no water dispenser, internal or external.

The fridge I chose actually had a version with a water dispenser on the door but I decided not to get it - one more thing to go wrong. I was at my uncle's for the holidays, though, and he had both water and ice on the door (big house - big fridge). I found I really liked getting cold water that way, so now I wish I'd gotten it.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

we installed a whole house water filter. it is working out well particuarly since my town has horrid tasting water. now when upstairs or anywhere in the house, drinking water right from the tap.

i used to have water/ice on the door and don't miss it. there was always water stains on the fridge and with whatever hard chemicals are in the water they actually left a permanent stain on the stainless steel.

• olga_d
    15 years ago

I don't like very cold water (sensitive teeth) and if I do want some I use tap water. It is pretty good in our area. For ice cubes we use the trays in the freezer - as it is they get used only about once maybe twice a year when someone visiting wants ice in their drink. I guess I'm just strange. :D

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I'm with Olga and Bluekit - I keep a jug in the refrigerator filled with tap water. Ice maker in the freezer, but we rarely put ice in our drinks.

• mildredpots
    15 years ago

Filter spigot at sink. Filtered icemaker inside freezer, though I also don't put any ice in my drinking water.

• minette99
    15 years ago

Don't use ice much so my ice maker isn't even turned on :) I make a couple of trays when guests are coming. Other than that, I drink a glass or two of chilled wine at night and have a glass pitcher of cold water in the fridge ready for when ever I want it. Works super fine for me!

• redroze
    15 years ago

I wanted a nice, clean look for our french door fridge. So the filtered water dispenser is actually on the inside of the door - it may be a bother to others to have to open the door to get water, but for me I preferred looks over function. There's an icemaker in the bottom freezer...it just drops ice cubes and you have to pick them out. I love it!

• sue36
    15 years ago

We don't use much ice, we've never even used our in-freezer ice maker (we have a few ice trays, we buy ice when we have a party). For water, DH drinks it from the tap. I drink Poland Spring water or other bottled water. I really need to get off my bottled water habit, maybe I'll get one of those in-fridge filter jugs.

I decided against water/ice on the door when I saw the mess people made at my father's house with it. That would drive me nuts.

• ncamy
    15 years ago

In our rental house (where we live) and in our house in Charlotte (which is for sell) we have the ice/water in the door and we never use it. We so seldom use ice that the ice maker ice usually tastes bad because it has sat there so long. So we end up using that solely for filling coolers. DH prefers to make old fashioned cubes for his cocktails. He read somewhere that larger cubes don't dilute the drink as much and hasn't gone back since! As for water I like to drink a lot of cold water. For a long time I was hooked on bottled water before I became obsessed with being environmentally conscious. Now we just use a brita type filter pitcher EVEN though the fridge has a filter on it. It's cheaper and easier to change plus my taller glasses and water bottles won't fit under the dispenser on the outside of the refrigerator. The house we are going to build will not have an ice maker or water dispenser and we've settled on a bar fridge that has a decent size freezer where hubby can make and store his "cubes."

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I like having indvidual bottles of water chilling in the fridge but have given them up for a Brita. Not a big ice person but I occasionally use re-usable ice cubes, I have a litte container with a few in my freezer.

• wa8b
    15 years ago

Plain old 'eau du robinet' (tap water). But then, we have pretty good water here in Seattle. I prefer it straight up, without ice.

When my nieces and nephews visit, they think I'm a bit eccentric (or weird), making do without dispensers in the door.

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, there are many of you out there!

We like ice in our water and we drink alot of it. Currently, my son who is 3 is pretty good at getting water out of the door of the frig without splling -- I guess practice makes perfect.

Never heard of a WHOLE HOUSE FILTER -- what is that and how expenive is it? i am definitely interested since our water is so hard and for baths and showers it would be great to have filtered water.

Also never heard of an INTERNAL WATER DISPENSER -- does anyone have pictures of that?

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

Another right out of the tap here too - our water's great. I don't care for ice water but we have an icemaker inside the freezer.

Interestingly I was watching something on the tube - maybe 60 minutes - about societies that have the oldest, most active, vital people and what it's like where they live. These places had a high number of people living productive, physically active lives at age 100 and beyond. One place they mentioned the water supply the people drink has a lot of naturally occurring minerals - which of course is good for your bones, teeth, etc. I thought that was quite interesting. We on the other hand filter everything out and then try to make up for it with calcium supplements to prevent broken hips when we get old.

• troubled-2007
    15 years ago

For those of you who only drink filtered water - are you concerned at all about the lack of fluoride.

• zeebee
    15 years ago

Brita pitcher for DH, I drink un-Brita'd tap water. We make ice in ice trays for parties, as neither of us takes ice in our drinks at home.

• chefkev
    15 years ago

Tap water varies tremendously from locale to locale. We moved from Chicago to Madison WI. Love Madison, but how I miss the Chicago tap water, I liked it straight up much better than the filtered water I'm drinking now.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I don't miss the fluoride and all the other things that is prevalent in our tap water here in the DC metropolitan area. They have recently found some cancer clusters that they are potentially linking to drinking water. Too many variable to drink tap water including leaching lead in the pipe. I have great teeth, eat a balanced diet, and work out four times a week. What can you do? Everything will kill you at some point. I like the taste of my filtered water versus the tap water. I also notice that out tap water smells like chlorine which I am extremely sensitive to.

Good luck!

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Our tap water doesn't taste good. That said, my kids drink it sometimes when they get a drink at night or after brushing their teeth. Otherwise, it's filtered water. I think for additional fluoride, we will do a fluoride rinse, if needed. Otherwise, tap water always smells and tastes like chlorine to me. Yuck!

• oruboris
    15 years ago

I went with the Monogram all frig, all freezer units, so no water or ice in the door. I missed it at first, but when I get the undersink chiller hooked up [waiting on electrician] I think I'll forget all about it.

• biochem101
    15 years ago

We have a well with ice cold water in it and no fluoride. Fortunately we have no reason to put in a whole house filter (the setup goes on the well intake in the basement). It's a good idea if you have a water problem as it cleans up everything to every faucet.

But I'm a microbiologist married to an environmental chemist, so we test the water ourselves! :)

Amazed to see so many people saying they don't use much ice. Thought we were the odd ones! :D

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

I'm not fond of water and ice dispensers on the outside door. IMO, it just causes messes and water drippings.

We have a water dispenser inside the frig and an ice maker in the freezer. Works for us. We don't use much ice at all. I never add it to my drinks.

We also have a special water unit in the laundry room that brings our faucet water to the correct PH level. We fill us water jugs and use that to drink as well.

• caligal
    15 years ago

I have seen so many messy and hard water spotted dispensers on the exterior that we opted for the inside the door water. I really like it and we don't use ice much. In fact, we turn off our ice maker.

Most water filters do not remove the fluoride unless it specifically states.

• sue36
    15 years ago

"For those of you who only drink filtered water - are you concerned at all about the lack of fluoride."

We have well water, so there is no fluoride in it whether it's filtered or not.

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

No water on outside of door. We have filtered water from inside frig. Ice in icemaker. However we don't use much ice for our drinking water either.
    I personally feel as many others have already said..... my children would be waterlogged if they had it on the outside of the door.

As far as fluoride I am happy our city does not put it in our water so don't have to worry about filtering it out. Fluoride is a poison, our children do not ever get fluoride at the dentist or in their toothpaste. They have very few cavities.

I do not appreciate any government agency telling us what we must drink or eat. It is a slippery slope and if it starts with something as simple as drinking water imagine what else it can happen with.

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

We have a bottom freezer with an ice maker. It is so easy to pull out the drawer and scoop out some ice, and the kids can do it for themselves. We have a water filter in the sink, the Fanke Tri-flow, which the kids can reach with a step stool. We used to have a Brita filter, but don't need it now.

I was torn about the ice/water in door. I actually don't love the look, and while it is convenient, I find it can also be messy. We ended up having to get a french door fridge when we had to do a re-design mid-way, so out went the through the door ice, and I'm so glad.

We never used much ice until we got this ice maker. Now the kids love scooping a few cubes for themselves. I think the novelty will wear off.

• zelmar
    15 years ago

I know your only asking for opinions from those who DON'T have in-the-door ice but couldn't resist giving the opposing opinion. We had never had a dispenser before the remodel and the fridge we wanted only came with that option. We reluctantly chose it and found that having the easy access to ice has been an incredible quality-of-life improvement. Every member of our family drinks a lot more water because of it. We have very cold water coming out of our tap during the winter but the coldness isn't enough. My family wants the crunch (and it's the "crushed ice" crunch that works, not the whole ice cubes.) Our fridge water isn't chilled and comes out tediously slow so we still get the water out of the tap (plus I like getting it when the faucet is in "spray" mode---the aerated water tastes better to me.) We have excellent spring water that leaves no deposits so no worry about filters.

Now that I have the ice dispenser I don't mind the look. I guess it's an inner beauty type of thing where the function overides any aesthetic problems. Also the background color of the dispenser is the same color as the fridge and doesn't stand out as much as some.

We never had an ice maker before the reno but I know my family well enough to know that they wouldn't drink as much water if they didn't have the ice dispenser staring them in the face (I kept unmolded in a tub in our old freezer and nobody ever thought to use them + they weren't crushed.) We use ice so often now that we don't have to worry about it sitting in the freezer too long and getting the stale-freezer-taste. We've had it for 3 1/2 years and it's still a draw. Guests also know how to easily help themselves without feeling awkward about about opening the freezer door if I forget to welcome them to do it.

Good luck. We're happy we ended up with the dispenser by default.

• User
    15 years ago

I have internal water/ice in my fridge (KA bottom freezer), and that was non-negotiable. I HATED how gross the water/ice dispenser got after a while, and keeping it clean was always hard, especially with hard water.

The water is on the side of the fridge inside the door, and I have an icemaker in the freezer, so I have plenty of ice and water.