SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novacarrierdude

Carrier Infinity hybrid heat operating cost

novacarrierdude
15 years ago

I have a question for any expert out there that would know.

I just installed two three ton Carrier Infinity 16 heat pumps combined with 58CVA Infinity gas furnace 66,000 btus (both) for my 5500 sq ft home.

What is the operating cost PER HOUR of the heat pump? From what I can figure, the three ton Infinity 25hna6 with blower from furnace draws ROUGHLY 1.8 kw to 2.3kw depending on temperature. With a cost of electricity at 7 cents per kwh this is 13 to 16 cents per kwh assuming high stage operation. By extension then, the operating cost of low stage would be 55-60% of high stage operation.

Conversely, the gas furnace at 80% efficiency--66,000 btus in high stage at a gas cost of $1.51 per therm yields a gas op cost of about $1.00 per hour of operation and some loose change to run the blower.

Obviously, this is not an apples to apples comparison. As such, one must factor in COP at various temperatures and discern the electric and gas cost per million btus to figure out proportionally what costs what. How do I do that? : - 0 Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Comment