SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xaeniac

Looking to Replace A/C

xaeniac
9 years ago

My unit can not keep up in the dog day heats of summer and will run all day and not get below 80-82. The unit loses freon and must be filled about 2 times a year. My inside unit is 3.5 tons and the outside is 3 tons. My house is about 1586 sq feet and I live in Louisiana. I decided that I was going to look into replacement. Started to get quotes for replacing units and admit I went into this blind. My experiences led me to start doing some researcMy unit can not keep up in the dog day heats of summer and will run all day and not get below 80-82. The unit loses freon and must be filled about 2 times a year. My inside unit is 3.5 tons and the outside is 3 tons. My house is about 1586 sq feet and I live in Louisiana. I decided that I was going to look into replacement. Started to get quotes for replacing units and admit I went into this blind. My experiences led me to start doing some research.

First guy shows and just looks at the existing equipment and moves on to give me a quote. He states that the ducts look good, but does not go into much more detail than this. He is going to stay at a 3 ton 14 SEER York system.
After this first company visit, I get a little uneasy as I feel that there should be more to it than just looking at the current system. I call another company to give me a quote. He measures the exterior of the house and looks at the ducts doing some type of calculation. I do not tell him that I got another quote. He states that I should add a total of 3 additional ducts and names some of the present ducts that the sizes will change from a 6-8, etc. He states that I should move to a 3.5 ton 13 SEER Goodman or RUUD system based on flow calculations on how much air flow should match the unit. He stated the current ductwork I have is too small for a 3 ton unit, but will make some ducts bigger and add additional duct work for a 3.5 ton unit. He leaves without giving me a price and states that the quote will be sent to me. He explains all tubing will be replaced, plenum and exactly what he will do. I have no idea what he did, but feel he was more thorough than the first guy. Based on what I stated did this guy do a ManualJ or just a Baloney-J test.
After this next visit I find this site.

I like having a feeling of comfort and having conflicting feelings now. Did either or these guys get it right?h.

First guy shows and just looks at the existing equipment and moves on to give me a quote. He states that the ducts look good, but does not go into much more detail than this. He is going to stay at a 3 ton 14 SEER York system.
After this first company visit, I get a little uneasy as I feel that there should be more to it than just looking at the current system. I call another company to give me a quote. He measures the exterior of the house and looks at the ducts doing some type of calculation. I do not tell him that I got another quote. He states that I should add a total of 3 additional ducts and names some of the present ducts that the sizes will change from a 6-8, etc. He states that I should move to a 3.5 ton 13 SEER Goodman or RUUD system based on flow calculations on how much air flow should match the unit. He stated the current ductwork I have is too small for a 3 ton unit, but will make some ducts bigger and add additional duct work for a 3.5 ton unit. He leaves without giving me a price and states that the quote will be sent to me. He explains all tubing will be replaced, plenum and exactly what he will do. I have no idea what he did, but feel he was more thorough than the first guy. Based on what I stated did this guy do a ManualJ or just a Baloney-J test.
After this next visit I find this site.

I like having a feeling of comfort and having conflicting feelings now. Did either or these guys get it right?

Comments (4)