SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neohioheatpump

heat pump / dual fuel in cleveland ohio - your thoughts.

neohioheatpump
14 years ago

Hello everybody.

Just wanted to say I"ve been reading the garden-web forum for a long time about HVAC and really enjoy it. it motivated me. I've learned alot and got alot of good ideas. I hope everyone enjoys my post.

1. What I replaced and purchased.

I replaced my 17 year old 3-ton trane xl1200 12-seer air conditioner that was working just fine with a heat pump. I currently still have a 100K btu trane 90% gas furnace.

My primary reason was to save money on gas bills and have extra flexibility and comfort.

I researched and choose a luxaire 3-ton lx series 14.5 seer heatpump. I choose the model # lhjf36s41s1a heat pump because of its excellent heating numbers and its quiet operation. It was also a pretty good price. It has demand defrost, compressor filter, scroll compressor, 69db cool 71 db heat, 10 year parts warranty. I went with a 3.5 ton coil model # pc43c3xn1h since it is more efficient. I also got the txv valve. I got the new lineset and the honeywell wireless thermostat kit with outdoor thermostat. I have it setup to switch to gas backup/aux at 30 degress f. This new unit has the r-410a. The instaler did a vacuum on the new linset down to 320 microns.

2. The house.

I live in a suburb just south of cleveland ohio in a 1750 sq. ft. brick ranch with a full basement. It was built in 1967. No insulation in walls but very-good brick solid construction. 8-foot ceilings. It has nice new vinyl windows, good basement glassblock windows, 3/4 finished basement (which helps insulate). Over the past 3 years of me living here I did the following: I blew in 6 inches of cellulose in attic on top of 2 inches fiberglass bats already there. I added fiberglass insulation in gap between ceiling and plate in the unfinshed area. I even sealed any accessible leaks in ducts in basement with aluminum colored silicon. I also insulated behind inside of wall outlets of exterior walls (you would be surprised the cold air coming in them in the winter).

Your general thoughts?

Will this duel fuel setup save me money?

Any comments on the luxaire brand?

I notice when the heat pump kicks on it makes a little electrical thud. When the old a/c kicked on, its electrical 'thud' wasn't quite this loud. comments?

So far it works nice. The heat pump in my opinion actually seems to warm the rooms more comfortably than the furnace (no cool spots). The heat seems very even. It just got finished on 10/05/2009.

Electrical rates around here are about 11 cents per KW hour with all taxes and delivery.

Natual gas is cheap but its variable and I"m sure it will skyrocket again.

Oh yes, I got all this installed for a little over 3 grand. I helped the installer with all the work. I plan on taking the 30% credit since this equipment is on the list for meeting the qualifications for the rebate so after the rebate its barely over 2 grand.

thanks.

Comments (3)