SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgeist

Experiences with dual-fuel vs. hydronic coil systems?

dgeist
8 years ago

I'm in the process of replacing a large aging forced air system in a 1970 colonial in climate zone 3 (Atlanta). It's natural-gas fired and serves a basement and two furnished levels. We re-ducted the upstairs with a heat pump and dual-fuel furnace for emergency heat. I'm looking at options for the basement/main level system now.

I already have a 199k Btu/H demand water heater adjacent to the basement furnace location. It works quite well and is slightly higher capacity than the house needs for all its hot water needs today. The first setup being suggested for this location is just like the top level (heat pump and dual-fuel closed combustion gas furnace for backup heat). I'm exploring the idea of a heat-pump and air handler that uses a hydronic coil fed off my existing water heater. I really like the idea of having fewer gas-fired appliances and not having the "drying" effects that a gas burner can have on air quality. I'd definitely have to do an exchanger to keep the potable and heating loops separate, but other than logistics, does anyone have experience with a hydronic heat source that can offer some opinions/experiences?

Thanks.

Dan

Comments (8)