SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

Update on My Brother

Cherryfizz
16 years ago

Paul came by this morning before his appointment with the Endocrinologist. Paul just seemed out of sorts and worried. He said he didn't know what to eat, and hadn't eaten since last night because he figured he would be getting a blood test. I told him once he has this appointment he can pretty much eat everything in moderation but will have to cut down on the high sugar foods or foods that will make his blood sugar rise.

Paul was worried that if his knee surgery was delayed for another few months he would be forced back to work because his compensation pay for being off is changing to monthly instead of weekly like it is now. He would rather be at work but can't work with the way his knee is now.

So when Paul left I just started to cry for him. He has been so happy these last few months, lost a lot of weight so feels better about going out in public or visiting family other than me. LOL Everyone comments about the change in him.

I waited all day for him to call me and he finally stopped by. He said "I've got 3 months to live" and I knew he was just joking. He looked a lot better than when he left my house to go to the Doctor.

The Doctor pricked his finger and tested Paul's blood and it was down to 12 which is a lot better than 20. He said they were worried about Paul after the surgeon got Paul's pre-operative blood test results. Paul's blood then tested 28!! I still don't know why they didn't make him go to the ER when it was that high and to think he drove to Toronto on Christmas Eve with it that high! I just shudder when I think about it. Paul said he had eaten a bag of chocolate before the test because they just called him on the spur on the moment to come in when they had the surgery date for sure.

So the Endo told Paul not to worry too much. He gave Paul a glucometer and a prescription for pills and one for Lipitor. He is going to see a Dietician and the Diabetic Educator later this week. He can go to classes to learn about his disease or just meet one on one with an educator. We don't pay for the glucometers and since Paul works for the auto industry his prescriptions and test strips are covered too.

Paul asked the Doctor if he could still drive to Toronto and he said yes. Paul asked him if he could eat meat and the Doctor said yes and showed him a size comparison. He said think of a tv dinner and notice how the meat is in the largest section. Then think of whehre the potatoes are - that is the size portion of meat he should be eating. LOL

He told Paul not to worry that he will do fine.

Paul's surgery is still on the go for January 15 or 16 and he is wishing now it is delayed for a week longer. I think he is itching to get back to work since he has been waiting for this surgery since last February.

I am relieved and once Paul is educated on diabetes he will do good.

I think Paul's main worry was having to give himself insulin injections. Now that is one less worry.

Thank you for all your good thoughts and prayers and thank you Ed for offering to drive him from London to Richmond Hill. He is driving up on Sunday and his daughter is going with him.

LOL I guess I will have to get some Splenda in the house now so he can have a dessert for special occasions and holidays or just for cooking something that calls for a bit of sugar. I don't like the stuff myself.

I am going to get my Diabetic for Dummies back from a friend and read up on diabetes again and I do have a good Diabetic cookbook with lots of recipes. I am thinking of making Paul up meals he can just pop them in the microwave and not have to worry about what to eat. I just need to see the papers once he meets with the dietician.

Sue, I did get your email, thank you

Anne

Comments (12)