SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Wild sorrel soup - how to make?

lpinkmountain
14 years ago

I'm cleaning up out in the garden and I have wild sorrel (the kind that looks like clovers, not the "sheep sorrel" kind) and some other herb volunteers that I need to weed out. I'm thinking to save them and make something I have heard referred to in Russian as "schav" but found recipes online of German and Irish persuasion too. I just don't know how to decide the best way to make it. A lot of the recipes have it thickened with egg yolks, which I have never done. Some call for potatoes or rice. The reason I'm worried about the egg yolk kind is that I'm not sure how long it will keep and I eat up soup very slowly. I'm thinking the potato kind will maybe freeze. I dunno, so many recipes call for the egg yolks, so if it's traditional it must be good.

Anyone out here have any experience with this?

Here are three recipes, very different styles. All sound good to me, but since I have never tempered eggs before, that one sounds like a potential disaster.

Ingredients

About 400g of sorrel

7-800g of potatoes

1 or 2 carrots

2 or 3 onions

4 vegetable stock cubes or their equivalent

A bunch of spring onions

A bunch of fresh dill

A few sprigs of fresh mint

A teaspoon of dried rosemary

1 or 2 bayleaves

Vegetable oil

Salt

5 litres of water

Serve with dollop of sour cream.

INGREDIENTS

3 cups vegetable broth

2 tablespoons uncooked white rice

1 bunch sorrel, stemmed and rinsed

1/2 cup heavy cream

salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

In a large saucepan bring vegetable broth to a boil over medium heat. Stir in rice and continue to boil for about 8 minutes. Stir in sorrel and return to a boil. Remove from heat and puree in batches in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender.

Return to medium-low heat and stir in cream, salt and pepper. Heat through and serve.

Ingredients:

450g sorrel

90g butter

1 large onion, chopped

2 tbsp plain flour

2½l stock

2 tbsp breadcrumbs

salt and freshly-ground black pepper

2 egg yolks

150ml cream

Comments (7)