SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

I screwed up - kitchen floor and cabinets clash - island

elphaba_gw
10 years ago

Mix of kitchen floor, island countertop, lower wood cabinets too busy? Tone mismatch between floor and cabinets I think. Not sure best option for me right now.

background:
kitchen remodel is slowly in progress. I have no GC so I have luxury of dragging this remodel out which seems to be my style. Oh well. I'm not DIY but I currently have some good workers to call on. This mismatch is my biggest mistake so far. Guess I may be lucky that it has taken this long but I'm definitely not happy.

Right now I'm stuck on what kind of countertop for the island. I had originally thought of butcher block with Waterlox finish. But now that the wood plank porcelain oak floor tile is installed and I can see how the floor herringbone striations don't blend with the lower cabinets (kitchen is two toned with upper as white and gray/beige Sofieunder Ikea cabs below). I'm worried striations from butcher block will add another element of busy-ness which will put it over the top.

I know that this isn't really enough info but in case anyone has had results that they regret mixing butcher block with other elements in kitchen that have wood striations, I would like to hear their opinions (or anyones).

I had planned on pale gray Silestone (almost solid except for tinydots).

I'm thinking of going on the safe side right now with the pale gray Silestone peripheral countertop as well as Island countertop. But I hate that there will be so much of the same countertop. I don't like "matchy matchy".

Had hoped we could have the butcher block counter on island to "warm" things up a bit given the modern Ikea. Thoughts/opinions? What kind of countertop would you put in? Options:
1. butcherblock - maple for island and pale gray for peripheral countertops
2. quartz Silestone - pale gray for both island and for peripheral countertops
3. quartz Silestone - white for both island and for peripherals
4. dark gray for island countertop, pale gray for peripheral countertop
5. Maybe driftwood stain on island butcherblock with pale gray peripheral counters (but I don't really think this is an option).
6. other

Here is floor plan

Here is picture of Ikea Sofieunder in two tone similar to what ours will have - wish I had this floor.

And here is large segment before skeleton of island or window or drywall installed.

p.s. And in case anyone is wondering, I took a sample of the Sofieunder cabinet with me when I shopped for the floor tiles. Looked good then. That is one reason I think the real problem is the busy herringbone pattern and not the difference in color tone between floor and lower cabinets. or it could be just too many striations or it could be colors don't blend. Thoughts??

Comments (25)