SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntl1991

My Boiler Is Acting Up. 210 degrees!?

ntl1991
13 years ago

Hello. This is only the 2nd time the heat has kicked on this season; the furnace was just cleaned and serviced (It's done annually) but it seems like it's acting strange.

First off, the boiler I'm speaking of is in my 3 family home. The house was heated with one steam system. I removed all of the radiators and pipes and installed 3 separate hot water (baseboard) systems in it's place. The steam boiler was converted for hot water use and is now used for the 1st floor apartment. It's a Weil McLain "Gold" Oil-Fired Boiler.

I wanted to test the heat before the night set in, so I set the thermostat to 71 degrees. It was 68 inside. The boiler kicked on and began producing heat. The cold pressure for the 1st floor is roughly 12-15 PSI. I was in the basement observing the temp rising through 140* and then 150*. After running for about 30 minutes or so, the temp rose to 69 and then 70, and I could hear the boiler kick off. About 5 minutes later, I went back down to the basement and checked the temp/pressure gauge. It read 25PSI and 210 degrees Fahrenheit. I checked the pressure release valve and it was dripping. About a drop every 2 seconds or so. The circulator was running. With the boiler off, I could hear what sounded like water and air bubbles running through the lines (they're mostly PEX). I went back up and checked the thermostat and it was still calling for heat because it hadn't reached 71 degrees yet, but the furnace wasn't kicking on.

Should my pressure be that high? It seems abnormal. 170 or 180 sounds like a proper temperature, but I really have no clue. Do I need to adjust the temperature or pressure? If so, how. I know how to adjust the pressure, but I'm not sure how to adjust the aquastat.

Any help would be appreciated.

{{gwi:1597011}}

{{gwi:1597013}}

Comments (3)