SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Knives and dishwashers

sally2_gw
11 years ago

I'm terrible about sharpening my knives, yet I'm always impressed when watching someone like Jaques Pepin gently set his knife upon an onion, only to have it glide gracefully and quickly right through the darn thing, like magic. So, when my son, who spent 2 or 3 semesters in culinary school, was in town, I asked him to sharpen my German Henckel knife that I picked up at an estate sale. I have two other Henckel knives that are much thinner and lighter weight, made in China. They are actually sharper than the heavy German made knife. I've tried, and failed at sharpening that particular knife.

So, dear son set about his sharpening duty, teaching me his technique at the same time. After trying and trying, he couldn't get it sharp, either. He asked if it had been through the dishwasher. I told him I'd never put it through the dishwasher, but I couldn't say what happened to it with its previous owner. Dear son told me that the dishwasher ruins the tempering of a knife, which renders it unsharpenable. (I just made that word up - he has better grammar than that.) Now I'm worried that I'm going to have to take my cheap ($10) estate sale find to a professional sharpener to have it sharpened, eliminating the good deal I found. That is, if even a professional can get it sharp.

So, my long winded question is this - is that true? Does washing a knife in the dishwasher ruin its ability to be sharp? I thought the reason for not putting a knife in the dishwasher was to protect the handle. We're not talking about carbon steel, but stainless.

I'm scared to death to have a knife as sharp as Jaques Pepin keeps his knife, but I'd like to have my knives sharp enough to slice through a tomato or onion without exerting quite as much muscle as I do now.

Sally

Comments (30)