SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ibjammin_gw

Need Help - Starting To Look For New HVAC

ibjammin
14 years ago

My old central air unit just quit working and I am starting to look around for a new one. For the last two weeks I have been on this forum gathering information so that when I start talking to dealers, I might have an idea of what system I want them to quote. From what I have gathered and going by the reputation of dealers in my area I have pretty much narrowed it down to Trane, Carrier or Bryant. I have a few questions that I need answered before I start getting quotes.

First, on the Trane, many here have suggested the XL15i as being a good unit. But what is the main difference between the XL15i and the XR15. I want something efficient but also something not too expensive cost wise.

Second, on the Carrier and Bryant, many here seem to prefer the Carrier Performance 15 "H" or "A" or Bryant Preferred 15 "H" or "A" for cost effectiveness. My question is, I live in south Mississippi where we have a few months of cold winter months and about 7 months of horrible heat and humidity out of the year. Should I consider getting the "H" model or the "A" model.

I had a 4 ton RUUD that lasted 16 years before it threw in the towel. Should I consider RUUD again or has their reputation dropped since I purchased mine? I do not see it mentioned much in discussions. Also, what are some other things I might need to consider in talking with dealers?

Like I mentioned, it has been 16 years since I last went down this road and any help would be gladly appreciated!

Comments (11)