SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cschmelz_gw

Geotherm vs uber high efficiency gas

cschmelz
14 years ago

I own a 4800 square foot home in eastern Washington. I bought the house about a year ago and it was constructed in 1979. I have NO idea what insulation is in the walls, but it still has non-coated double pane windows that are likely original and decent (18 inches or so) of blown insulation in the ceiling. It has a half basement and an uninsulated 1/2 crawlspace (well, floor of house in that area isn't insulated but walls of crawlspace are along with vapor barrier in good shape)

The house is currently heated by a Lennox CompleteHeat system with 2 zones (2 air handlers, single water heat unit) It actually is fairly cheap to run during heating season with gas bills never exceeding $300/month. It has 2 matching A/C units from the mid 90s with (I assume) middle of the road efficiency.

The CompleteHeat has been in for 7-8 years which is pretty typical lifespan before the welds on the watertank fail, leading to a complete loss of hot water and BOTH zones of heating, so naturally I'm seriously considering early empiric replacement. With the current tax benefit I'm considering ground loop geothermal. I had a top of the line ClimateMaster hardware quote provided. Basically it was 2 6 ton ground loops, 2 5 ton best available ClimateMaster units for about $30k. He also then quoted a water to water geothermal unit with storage tank to provide hot water along with a large hot water type solar panel to add heat to the loop during the winter (another $10k).

I'm debating whether it makes sense

1) to do geotherm at all. I am on a natural gas line (rare as I live in the sticks) so I could easily do a best available natural gas heat plus high efficiency A/C setup, probably for $20k

2) to do the very pricey water to water unit for hot water vs just going HVAC geotherm and then buying a 95+% efficiency gas hot water heater

3) My other idea would be to consider doing natural gas/convention HVAC and then spending the extra $20k on the first phase of a PV system for electricity generation. We get over 220 sunny days here (though our winter sunny days are short from 8am to 4pm)

Comments (6)