SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckkl

Where to put heat vent in new room?

beckkl
16 years ago

I have an old bungalow, and one of the rooms upstairs was unfinished. I framed it out for a few closets, and we are putting a washer and dryer in there. Now I need to put in a vent. There is a run coming from the basement that goes to a small bathroom that I put a T on, and ran some 6" insulated ductwork behind the wall to the room.

Now, the only place I can put the vent is in the ceiling (close to the middle of the room), or about 6 feet up near the corner of a room. I'm not sure which is best. To do it in the ceiling, the run from the basement has to be about 6 feet longer, and will be traversing an attic that leaves a bit to be desired with regard to proper venting (I'm addressing this next summer). On the other hand, putting the vent near the corner means a shorter run through uninsulated area, but now the heat is originating from a corner, and not the center of the room. Does it matter which way I go here? I'd prefer to go to the corner, cause I'm afraid the ceiling vent might detract from the cans up there.

Comment