SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ekling211

Heat Basement and put up a room divider?

ekling211
15 years ago

I recently built a log home with a basement. The basement is 900 sq ft and my son has made an entertainment "room" down there using about 250 sq ft of it. Now that it's winter it's chilly, probably about 58-60 and a little cold to hang out in for long periods. There is pink insulation attached to the cinder block walls and we put carpet down. 2 questions: we need to have a separate heat system because upstairs in the living room when the wood stove is on, it works so well that the forced air system goes off completely and the basement gets even colder (we have one vent in the basement which does help a little when the wood stove isn't running, we also have a cold air vent). He tried plugging in an electric radiator 1500 watt and it did nothing. We only have curtains separating this "room" from the rest of the basement. Question 1: what would be a good, inexpensive heater that would work (I won't be able to install a wood stove down there without alot of effort since I'd have to make a chimney of sorts) and #2 what would be a good way to divide the room to help keep the heat in a little more until I can save enough money to build a real wall (I did just build this house so I'm a little broke at the moment). Thanks.

Comments (5)