SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

My dog was diagnosed with Pancreatitis...

golddust
13 years ago

Poor Dubs. He's my bigger dog who is 10 years old. Last week he started waking me up during the night to go out to urinate. The first night, I dismissed it because I had not let him out before bed.

By the third night, I knew something else was going on. I followed him to watch him urinate and his urine was red. We jumped in the car and ran down the road to the vet. Because he urinates on command we were able to get a sample at the vets. He has lost 7 pounds since his last visit and the vet suspected cancer right off the bat. I was hoping for a simple bladder infection...

The vet ran tests and diagnosed Pancreatitis but he suspects it is secondary. Dubs is already on a low fat diet. They couldn't do a sonogram because his sonogram guy was in the hospital having surgery - so that will come later.

The vet sent us home with antibiotics and an anti- inflammatory. Additionally, he ordered a rice and cottage cheese diet, to be eaten in small amounts several times a day. Poor Dubs!! Now here is my question.

I don't know how much total rice and cottage cheese I should feed him in a day and I forgot to ask. He generally weighs 120 pounds. Also, I read that chicken can be added to this diet online. Is turkey the same as chicken? I just roasted a turkey breast and would like to use a little of that to feed him his pills twice a day. Can turkey be given in small amounts instead of chicken?

Poor Dubs!

Comments (30)