SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Oh, great - so I'm balding now?

IdaClaire
13 years ago

Back story: I dressed up as Princess Diana (ok, Princess Diana as a zombie) for Halloween this year. Part of my costume included an inexpensive - but darn good replica - Diana wig. I bought it on eBay; it shipped from Hong Kong. I'm not sure what it was made of, and I'd never worn a wig before. I also purchased, from the same eBay seller, a wig cap - sort of a tight-fitting hairnet thing that held my long hair up and out of the way. The wig fastened in back with an elastic strap that held the wig onto my head very tightly. I knew from the moment I put it on that I was in for a painful evening (we had two Halloween parties to attend), but I sucked it up and wore it anyway, because the costume just wouldn't have been the same without the "hairdo." Suffice it to say that as the night wore on, I grew increasingly grumpier because my head ached so badly. (Thankfully, my girlfriend had made some excellent sangria at her party, so that helped a bit. ;-)) I wore the wig for about 5 hours that evening, and it was such a relief to get home and take the horrid thing off.

The following day my head still ached, and on into the day after that. I noticed that I had a slightly raised bump at the very front of my hairline. It was sensitive to the touch, and remained there for a week, maybe a little longer. One day two or three weeks after I wore the wig, I noticed that where the bump had been at my hairline, I was bald. And I still am. Not a huge spot - but enough to bother me and make me feel a bit self-conscious. (Although DH insists he can't see it - I can, and I don't like it!) It's about 3/4" to 1" long by perhaps 1/4" in height. I keep checking it to see if it looks like new hairs are sprouting back there, and darn it - they aren't.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening? Have I permanently traumatized my scalp by wearing a cripplingly-painful cheapo wig made from goodness-only-knows what toxic material? Is a trip to the dermatologist in order? (Is Princess Diana paying me back for my irreverance?) :-?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida