SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
architectmamma

Cabinets arrived, how to negotiate the mistakes.

ArchitectMamma
11 years ago

Our custom cabinets arrived yesterday and they are, on the whole quite lovely. However, there were some mistakes and I'm trying to figure out what to do, what's fair, etc.

What we've accepted:
The big one that we've decided to live with is: they arrived with painted interiors not clear maple as specified. My request is that the upcharge for this be removed from the invoice. I could not wait another 8 weeks when I've waited 3 months already.

The division of panels on the pantry cabinet is different than my architecturals and the final drawing I signed off on. Again, I'm ok with it.

What we're asking them to change/redo:
One cabinet is the wrong depth for the mud room and has to be remade. The bench tops for the mudroom arrived painted and we sent them back to be remade with stained wood as we selected. Also, the cabinets for our laundry area had pulls instead of knobs, so we sent the doors/drawers back.

The big question:
There is a peninsula in our basement that is 6'-6" and should have 4 brackets and 3 panels. This allows for three bar stools. It arrived with 3 brackets and two panels between each bracket. So, four bar stools are really tight, and if we do three bar stools, someone has to straddle the bracket. My husband is tired and says, let's just live with it, it will be hard for them to remake,costly and will draw this project out even more. I feel like we would be compromising in both form and function plus, I think we are being pretty mellow and reasonable about the other hiccups. I'd like them to remake it and have it here in 3 weeks.

What do you think? I drew 5 sheets of 24x36 architectural drawings for this project so I start to get a bit frustrated because it was all there, drawn and dimensioned. I was up all last nighting mulling this one over.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH