SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladoladi

help moving part of HVAC system

ladoladi
13 years ago

hi:

my boyfriend and i recently purchased a home and are remodeling the kitchen. most of the house has vaulted ceilings, but the kitchen has soffits on three walls. we would really like to remove all the soffits, so we can install 42" upper cabinets (currently the soffit is only high enough for 32" uppers) and just to give the kitchen a more open feel. we cut into the soffits and 95% of them are simply decorative and removal should pose no problem. however, one small part of the soffit is housing part of the HVAC system; i'm not sure what it is. it simply looks like a black funnel, but it is suctioning for a return/intake. perhaps there is some kind of fan behind the funnel? here is a quick sketch of my problem:

the green square is the return grille. it is approximately 4 inches up from the floor. there does not seem to be any ducting running up the wall from the grille. the red circle is the funnel which sits about 6 inches up from the bottom of the soffit.

the vaulted ceilings complicate the matter. i can't move the fan to the right because that's all soffit we want to get rid of. i can't move it to the left because there's no where to put it; it's all vaulted ceilings there. my question is is it possible to move it left and back into the garage? maybe run some kind of chase in the garage next to the air handler?

an HVAC guy is coming out next week, but i am freaking out. we HAVE to order our cabinets by Wednesday and our entire kitchen plan is contingent on removing these soffits. i would greatly appreciate any advice/words of wisdom. thank you.

Comment (1)