SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

I want to hide my head in the sand

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I just don't know how to deal with it, what to say, what to do, and I'm just so sick of the "big C" that is taking all my relatives.

My dad just stopped in - we were on vacation together, my parents left (driving) after we did and just got home last night. He had a message from his brother. Their cousin was just diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer - she's in her early 50's and has kids not that much older than mine. Her dad (my godfather) died earlier this year (OK at age 81) of another type (didn't tell us) of cancer - her mom (my dad's aunt) died of BC (3 out of the 4 sisters incl my grandma had it) about 9 years ago. My first thought was "Oh no, not K, why not her sister, K's the one with kids!" Awful wishing it on someone else but if someone's gotta get it... that seems to be inevitable in my family (esp. my dad's side).

What do you say to someone who you told at a funeral Mass 2 months ago "we have to stop meeting like this? We need a wedding!"? She wanted to have a pig roast at the family farm like we used to do (no pig, just burgers, and just my dad and his brothers and their descendants this summer, they thought the family was getting to big to invite their cousins)? Now she may not even live til next summer.

She believes in the power of prayer, please all of you who can pray for her - I know many of you are also praying for her cousin J (also in his 50's) who has throat cancer.

My aunt (mom's sister) who has BC is starting radiation 5x/week and taking some pill like tamoxifin (forget the name), she is doing OK - I will post an update at Xmas.

I certainly hope this is the last relative I have to post about battling cancer...

Comments (19)