SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pretendstogarden

I think I am in over my head with tiling bathroom

pretendstogarden
16 years ago

Oh, I hope that someone can help me, or at least give me some confidence to finish this project. I am so intimidated. This is going to be a very long story, I am so sorry. We bought this place 9 yrs ago. It is not fancy, nor very large. It is a modest 3 bdrm, 1 & 1/2 bath ranch circa 1960's that we only paid 60,000 for. We finally decided to gut the main bathroom and redo. Like I said, nothing big or fancy. It originally had the 4x4 PLASTIC tiles as wainscotting, a cheap fiberglass surround around the tub, with a handheld shower to make it into a shower/tub combo. It also had a regular sized window above the tub/shower. We had put up a mini-blind and shower curtain on the window....AAAKKK. So I decided to have the carpenter put a smaller window in, up higher, so no window treatments needed. Here is my dilemma. I have never done tile, ever. I was just going by what my sister, neighbor, what I have read from here, etc. I decided to do the tile myself to save some $$$, because we had already overspent on everything else. I decided to go with the 4x4 glossy light gray and white up to the ceiling in the shower area, checkerboard style, with a top rail (is that what it is called) of 6x2 white bullnose, under that 6x1/2 black pencil liner, then the 4x4 gray tiles, then another black pencil liner, under that would be the 4x4 gray & white checkerboard. Plus I have 4 of the ceramic shelves, and a soap dish. My sister said "oh, it is easy, I will help you!". She didn't use spacers, it looked so uneven, I tore it out, and we started over. But the thinset was thicker on the part that we tore out and re-did, that it kind of bows out and does not look even at all. So I am sitting here with a half done, not even half done, bathroom. Plus the fact that I am such a perfectionist it is not even funny, and she is such a " Oh it will be just fine" type of gal. What I was thinking of doing is this... tearing out what was done, and sanding down the un-even walls (because of the thinset). I have actually even thought about taking all the tile back, and getting larger tiles, so as to not have so many tiles to have to put up. But then I would have to figure out what to do with the area around the window, and the shelves and soap dish. I really kind of liked the look of the retro 60's type, plus I found this really cool red and white toile shower curtain that would look so cool in there. For the floor, since it is a starter/kids oriented house, I had Armstrong Solarian Urban Settings Stucco in the Smoke color put in. Plus it is only a 5 x 9 room. I got really excited, but then really fizzled out. Should I bite the bullet and hire someone to do the tile, or can anyone give me some confidence to do it myself??? Only thing is, the guy who put my vinyl floor in, told me to use (and this is one of the oldest and best known flooring and tile places in town) to use ORGANIC MASTIC!!!!! AAAKKK!! Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Theresa

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!