SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

Please make my decision for me... single or double sink

shelly_k
14 years ago

I am so on the fence on this question and I need advice. I need to make the decision in the next couple of weeks and I am lost!

First.. the specifics.

*I will have no prep sink.

*I will have a garbage disposal.

*Typically, I am the only one using the kitchen.

*Our home will have an island that is open to the great room/dining area and it is one level.

I've only used a double bowl (50/50) sink. This is how I use my sink:

*I hand wash pans and often let them soak in one side (the side without the disposal). I do handwash my 1/2 sheet pan which I do by letting it stand in the sink and washing one end at a time. Can't think of too many other big pans that I wash that don't fit.

*When prepping, I often lay dirty dishes in one side, or peel/wash veggies in the side with the disposal. I let the dirty dishes or the peelings sit there until I am finished with prep.

*When handwashing the few items that I handwash, I often clean the other side so I can lay the clean dishes in there to drip dry. I am not opposed, however, to laying a dish towel on the counter to let these items dry. I am not anal about very neat counters all the time.

*I often fill one side with water and let frozen meats defrost for an hour or two.

Anyone want to take a stab at the best sink solution for me? I am leaning toward a double bowl with uneven sides, b/c it's so hard to picture working in a single bowl, having never done that. In my mind, I can picture a dishpan solving some of my problems with a single bowl sink. But then I will have to find a spot for it somewhere while not in use? Or could I get by with a single bowl and no dishpan?

Please help!! :)

Comments (40)