SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyinthewoods_gw

Heat Pump/Blower Stays On for Hours!

ladyinthewoods
13 years ago

We have a heat pump with a Lennox Elite air handler, between 5 and 10 y-o. Bought the house in spring, so this is the first week we've had to turn on the heat. Highs in the 50s, lows in the 30s, brrrrr...

Problem: The blower (fan?) is set to "auto" but it stays on for hours (unless I manually turn down the thermostat - from about 68 to 65). It blows cool to cold air during most of this time, with warm air intermittently.

I understand it's not supposed to feel warm like a gas furnace :) but we've had other heat pumps that simply cycled on and off over maybe 20 minutes, not hours.

Can anyone tell me what MIGHT be causing this (in plain terms)? I just fear a whopper of an electric bill. We had the units checked in May, with no problems, and we change the filters monthly. A/C worked very well over summer (total electric bills ran $100-$125 each month).

I don't mind calling a service tech, but it would be great to at least PRETEND I have a smidgen of knowledge! Many thanks in advance.

FYI: House is about 3100 SF including finished lower level, not well insulated, 25' ceilings and an open loft.

Comments (12)