SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjh53

HVAC replacement advice needed!

sjh53
14 years ago

Our 33 year old Luxaire AC has died, which I am so grateful for since now we MUST replace it instead of just talk about the energy savings we would get with a new unit. Our propane Lennox Pulse furnace is 20 years old, so we will be replacing it too.

Reading through this forum, I have discovered how much I don't know and need to learn to make the best decision.

Our house is a 1950s ranch, one level of about 2200 square feet, 50 miles north of Atlanta. We have and use a wood burning Buck Stove fireplace insert; mainly because my husband has a small lumber yard and we can burn leftover ends, and because it is so expensive to run our furnace. The stove keeps our main living area and our bedroom plenty warm when operating. The back bedrooms do stay rather chilly.

I am leaning toward a heat pump; my husband is not a fan of them. The price of propane keeps going up, our electric supplier is a cooperative.

Does a heat pump make sense for us? If not, what furnace should we get. What air conditioner would you recommend?

Grateful it's October and neither heat nor air is needed right now!

Thanks for any advice for us novices!

Comments (4)